Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thanks Detectives, I Got This One


If you remember a few weeks ago, I told you the story of the dead hamster that someone left in a Tim Horton's donut box on the front steps of the group home where my mother works sometimes. It seemed like a odd thing to do with a dead hamster so I noted the incident in my blog and moved on with other things.

Today in conversation I found out that my mother was not even asked to talk to the RCMP when she did a report on the event. You would think that some smart detective type guy would want to talk to the employee in charge that evening but apparently that wasn't the case. I wasn't doing much else so I decided to do the detective's job for them and get this one solved and off the books. Don't thank me. I do because I love.

I learned that one of the other employees has police protection and a restraining order out on someone who has threatened her in the past. Of course she told no one of the potential threat, not even my mother who she often works with. If she had, my mother could have taken precautions that are only now in place.

Since the police have no record of similar occurrences in the neighborhood this is a one time event and that makes it personal. This is not a perp who is just out to freak out the neighbors.

Obviously the dead hamster is a message from someone who knows that the girl works at the group home but not WHEN she works. They person could not get a rat (because Alberta is rat free - look it up)  so they used a dead hamster but still symbolic of someone who has turned another person into the police - thus necessitating the need for continued police protection. Until the trial, the witness is in danger by the person, probably and ex or baby-daddy - someone just angry and unstable enough to buy a box of donuts, eat the donuts, get sugar anger and regret, find a dead hamster and make a delivery.

I also make allowances for a female unsub. In that case this could be a child abuse case or a contentious he-said/she-said divorce with a custody element. That expands the small circle of suspects to a close family relative of the male in this conflict. She could believe that all the accusation are made up, thus precipitating her bizarre, extreme response.

That's just genius. I could do THIS all afternoon also.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope this gets reported to the police now. If someone is fearful enough to have a restraining order, those she works with are also at risk. Collateral damage can occur if violence breaks out and has resulted in fatalities in the past. If nothing else, 2 group home employees have been killed on the job in the past year -- doesn't Alberta Social Services take worker safety seriously?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It's under control. My mom loves to raise their kind of sticks and embarassing administrators who try to cut corners or cover things up. I will let you know how it goes. Appreciate your advice.

Belle said...

Good job. My daughter's workplace was threatened by a guy who's girlfriend broke up with him. It was frightening.