Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Why Do They Keep Showing Me So Much Of This Movie?

I am pretty much hardwired to enjoy the next Spider-Man movie. I have had spider DNA ever since I read my first Spidey comic book. I am the last person you need to sell on this film especially when you cast the delicate Emma Stone as the tragic Gwen Stacey. We all know where this trilogy is going and with what can be done with visual effects these days, it will be an amazing and thrilling ride.

Then why am I so annoyed by the timed release of footage that seems designed to take the joy and the mystery out of the film by showing me all the best parts up front? I feel like Spidey let me sleep with him on the first date and I have lost respect for him as a result.

I should not see him in full action until I am in the theatre. A teaser should do just that - TEASE ME. By the time July comes along I will feel like I have already seen the whole film just from the ever longer trailers I have been able to view.

Now all this pre-movie release stuff may just mean that the film is so FULL of Spider-Man goodness that it's overflowing. It may be terrific like the Avengers was and all my fears could be unfounded. The people who market these movies usually know what they are doing.

That being said, check out the latest trailer that made me pee my pants. I just got from HERO PRESS - one of my favorite pop culture blogs. The scene of the bridge is pure visual genius. We live in a golden age my friends.




8 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

If I had to guess, I'd say they are showing so much to try and showcase how different this movie is compared to the previous Raimi/Macguire films. The reaction I've seen thus far has been very cynical about the film in general, usually saying "I can't believe they're rebooting Spider-Man!" or "Its too soon for another Spider-Man movie!"

My best guess is that they gave us the full trailer so early to hook us onto the "idea" of a new cast early on, then hit us with even more after The Avengers had wet our summer movie appetites.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, what has happened to old-fashioned wooing, mystery and romance?

Belle said...

I'm actually going to see Spiderman because my sister Liz is here and loves all action movies. I'm kind of excited and I'm not going to watch any more trailers on it.

csmith2884 said...

I am lukewarm on this one. He sure loses that mask a lot. You don't see that in a good bat-like hero.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I know the advertising worked on me because I have gone from MEH to pretty excited. There were a lot of thrilling moments in that extended trailer.

I also have been thinking about the end of the Spider-Man movie when Nick Fury shows up and tells him to get his head out of his ass because he is going to be needed some day. Time to grow up Mr Parker and put on your big boy panties.

Hobgoblin238 said...

And just what was your first Spiderman comic Cal?

csmith2884 said...

Wow guess I need to struggle through that movie again, I don't remember that.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

i'm prety excited!