Thursday, July 26, 2012

Post Movie Pre-Beard Trim 3 Minute Movie Review



The Dark Knight Rises and the other two movies in this remarkable trilogy were always going to suffer because of unreasonably high expectations from the movie going public. After the first two terrific Tim Burton Batman movies we were inflicted with the dreck that was Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. That should have meant the end of Batman movies for the rest of the century.

Who ever thought, thought, that I would be sitting here now feeling totally happy to never see another Batman movie again  - not because I was disappointed but because I feel so totally satisfied with the live action Batman Trilogy I just finished watching.

Christopher Nolan did it for me. He created a great mutlipart epic that rewarded me in all those tiny ways that being a lifetime fan of the character should have. This movie was big and noisy and resisted the urge to repeat what they had already done as the story progressed. No one was resting on his laurels Everything got more interesting to watch as we went along.

They introduced a villain who was the equal of the Batman physically and as vicious and pained as the Joker was mentally. I think it was a smart choice and gave Bruce something real and personal to overcome.

The creators connected certain dots that only make sense if you watch the story from Batman Begins. This made the final twists very satisfying.

There is nothing else that I can tell you about this movie that you can't read or see for yourself. We are spoiled to live in such a Golden Age for superhero movies.

8/10

9 comments:

csmith2884 said...

Watching all three together was a great treat. My 15 year old liked Batman Begins the best. That surprised me some.

Kal said...

Believe it or not the first one in the most light and fun of the three...plus it has my favorite scene of them all...when Batman calls the bats from under Wayne Manor to give him cover.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I largely agree. I enjoyed the film, but I do think that of the three that it is the weakest. My problem was, that while Bane is well written, he just isn't has sly or as charismatic as previous baddies like Ras Al Ghul or The Joker. He really could have used subtitles too. It was hard to identify with his motives. While he makes all sorts of speeches, but I could only catch about every other word he said and it was difficult piece his sentences together in my head while the movie is still going.

The second act felt the roughest. I wish we could have seen more of the wasteland Gotham. That and the scene in the prison, while thematically fitting, has a resolution that felt a touch cliche. Third attempt at the wall, this time without the rope! Gee, I wonder if he'll make it this time?

That being said, I found the beginning and end portions to be rewarding, and am very much looking forward to catching details I might have missed when it comes out on DVD.

Kal said...

I enjoyed the parts about Talia being abandoned by RAS AL GHUL and protected by Bain in that prison. Now THAT would have been a terrific movie. Like the first Pitch Black movie.

I also never knew what was really wrong with his lower jaw that needed such a fancy device.

I too need to see it again and pay even closer attention.

Kal said...

What that REALLY Bruce at the end or was Alfred hallicinating? The camera focus was awfully soft.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I wished Alfred's speech about "visiting a cafe in France" had been something he had said in one of the earlier films, because it felt like one of the more telegraphed parts of the ending.

I was curious how Bruce would have been able to track down the one particular cafe. He can't follow the money trail of bank records after all that chaos without revealing some hint that he really is alive.

csmith2884 said...

The whole Bain/venom thing was not done well. In battle he looked speed-ed up but they never told much about it. I also thought Bain was hard to hear, if it was hard in a loud theater on dvd it will be awful.
Also having a broken back, the hang from this rope and you will be all better thing sucked.

JBond said...

"...having a broken back, the hang from this rope and you will be all better thing sucked."

dislocated disc.

JBond said...

"I also never knew what was really wrong with his lower jaw that needed such a fancy device."

Bane was disfiguringly beaten and left in excruciating pain by the other inmates. Shoving the device in his moth that released constant doses of pain killers was what what was keeping him alive, pain free, and in battle unable to be harmed without dismantling it since he didn't feel pain. That's what I took away from what I heard.