Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Vikings 1958


Damn those Norsemen. They are really nothing but a bunch of troublemakers. I know I am going to dislike a movie where the guys are I are the villains. I am not a fan of their sea related punishments. Just kill me already. Tying me to a rock at low tide is just pissing me off.

Earnest Borgnine - Ragnar makes the trouble of raping Tony Curtis' mother, something that will come back to influence his life in the future - especially when his two sons, the Kirk Douglas who is legitimate and the bastard Tony Curtis become involved in a Viking power struggle.






This movies comes from a time when they actually had to build a workable viking ship and train the actors aboard her how to be sailors. It must have been a glorious time. For a long time, the bulk of what I knew about Viking culture came from this movie and World Book Encyclopedia.  It took movies like 13th Warrior and Beowulf to learn me the more subtle contradictions of the culture.

I love how lusty and drunken and drunken and lusty they make this way of life seem. Unless of course you are not a male Viking then you suffer more than most. Wild sex with a viking maiden is on my bucket list.

It was one of the many that was show often at the weekend matinees as an A or B movie depending on that week's selections. My Father was a fan because he remembered it from when he was a teen. It was one of those movies he could share with his son whenever the opportunity arose. It was a rare thing the days before vcrs.


It's at times like this that I wish I had some friends to watch these movies with. This afternoon while waiting for my ceiling fan (which does not work) to be installed I watched Troy and wish I had others around to goof on the film with me. I love being alone most of my days but sometimes I wish I still had a group of people who could tolerate my presence for all to ten minutes. I can spend the heat alone when when the rains come, I want to share the cool.

I have two big tubs of action figures that I am going to put on my shelving complete with the acessories they came with. It's a project I would love to share with a local visitor. I don't care who you are. Please contact me and enjoy my company if you live close enough to me to make the drive worth it

If not for me, do it for poor dead Ernest Borgnine.

11 comments:

david_b said...

Speaking of drunken and lusty, and lusty and drunken, insure you buy HBO's 'Rome', both seasons if you haven't watched it yet..

I watched 'em in Kuwait during deployment downtime, now again with wife.

Best line: Atia calmly whispering her goodbye to Cleopatra, saying "Die Screaming, you Pig-spawned Trolip."

Ah, they DON'T write dialog like that anymore..!!!

Kal said...

I love ROME and it just primed me for the 3 great Spartacus series on Stars.

Mike D. said...

This film is one of my all time favorites. I'm sure you watched the " Making of Featurette ,eh?"
Borgnine made for one convincing Viking right! I loved Einar even more after he had his eye destroyed. For some reason Eric pissed me off. He still does when I watch this movie...( I've seen it literally 30 times or so )
I still get those feelings of discomfort and favor although I am well aware of the outcome...I still want Einar to run Eric through...lol. It was a sweeping epic and very authentic down to the Fjord village and horns...the game with the 3 axes was made up for the movie and used again in Tim Robbin's "Eric the viking"
They even trucked in real viking horses.
I am wayyy too far away to visit with ya...but I'd love to catch a flick and drink some brews and laugh up a storm while making fun of movies and films....If I'm ever up North thataway...I'll be sure and stop by.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Will there be chocolate? Count me in.

I love ya, Cal.
xoRobyn

M. D. Jackson said...

The Vikings is one of my all time favourite movies! I saw it on TV one afternoon and was absolutely ecstatic about it. It's a great old action movie.

And I loved ROME as well -- one of the best shows of its time. Rome kicked the asses of all other shows at the time. It's too bad it didn't last.

and yes, one day I will share the Cool. I don't know about chocolate but I will bring the port and cigars.

DrGoat said...

Grew up with this one too. My parents took us to see it at the theater when it came out. I was like 9 and it had a big impression on me. The first viking funeral I had ever seen. ODIN!

Mike D. said...

remember the scene with the single arrow duirng the funeral sequence? That guy goofed...so they just kept the shot.

DrGoat said...

Love that stuff, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Calvin if I lived in Canada I'd hang out with you and watch this movie or "The Longships" and clown on them both.

Not many people around here know these movie, but Florida is a long way away. But if I ever mosey up to Canada I'll drop you a line.

Great Blog

Kingoftheforest

Kelly Sedinger said...

Someone needs to do a study to determine, on average, how long it takes to get the theme music from The Vikings out of one's head after watching the movie! (And now I need to watch this again. Dammit! Such a cruel fate!)

Mike D. said...

Ohh Ohh oh...Ohh ohhh OH!