Monday, July 2, 2012

Women Be Thinkin' Too Much




"We can't launch a space yacht. It's far too difficult for a man!"


Star Maidens was an Anglo-German production of 13 episodes, starring Dawn Addams as President Clara of the Grand Council of Medusa. It consisted of women in slinky costumes, subjugating and dominating the male population of Earth in the future.

Apparently the German producers saw it as a sex comedy, while the English saw it as an intelligent sci-fi series that addressed gender reversal.

This resulted in confusion... and one online reviewer says it was all of the following: ludicrous, ambitious, confused, infuriating, cack-handed, staggering, limited, inventive, cheap, hilarious, camp, sexy, lurid fun! Gareth Thomas, Derek Farr and Judy Geeson also starred.


The women rule the world in this series that was unknown to me until today. I found it over at Space 1970 and if the first episode is any indication, I am in for a groovy time watching this one.

I am glad there is no grey in this female centered world. The women treat the men as if they are mere chatal, which is just how German women must have felt in the 70s, I guess. All the men are mice and fully dominated and all the women are vain ballbusters. I guess being in charge didn't make you girls any less cranky, did it?



You dames solved your weight issues so it suprises me you never got around to the pesky PMS 'issue'. Not that I am complaining. I love hearing women sit around and bitch about the ONE attractive man they can't control. I love seeing how it consumes their every waking moment. Set that bullshit in space and give me go-go boots and I am a fan.


Speaking of the outfits the female security forces wear - why can't our police forces run around in orange hotpants, halter-tops and platform boots? BECAUSE IT'S GOOFY THAT'S WHY. I love the look but it doesn't really convey that sense of authority that you want in your police force. Is this the way you gals would really parade around if you had all the power?? Also what is with the vibrator and oven mitt in your belt? You are sending me mixed signals here, baby.

It also helps that the woman in charge of retrieving our lost males is herself the stereotype of Aryan authority and rigidity. Octavia (Christine Kruger) hates men because she is almost one herself. Okay, I went way too deep into her character than she ever does. It's easy to be the superbitch when everything about men annoys you.


With some glaring exceptions, the design work on this series is spectacular. I have heard it called 70s Excess. It's exactly the way someone in 1975 would imagine the future to be. The minitures and other special effects are top rate for the time. The costumes and make-up are also interesting to look and often are spectacular. A great deal of effort was put into creating a believable civilization. I don't think they totally succeeded (and I think that is what will make this one great for me) but I appreciate the effort.




And now I get to the 'hero' of our little drama - Adam - the lone Alpha male who is gonna bring the whole system crashing down because he is upset to be treated like a sexual plaything. Well boo-hoo for you Pepe Le Pew!!

You live in a nice house, you are getting regular sex and you get to plan the meals. You can watch you stories and eat your bon bons all day long if you want. What the hell are you complaining about?

You know what, Adam, these angry bitches SHOULD kill you. They need to kill you because you are selfish and ungrateful and set a bad example for the other men. Just tell your Mistress what she wants to hear and take it like a man.

I hope you become less of a bitch as we go along here. I want to like you. I really do. Start with the hair. It's really too much. You don't need to keep auditioning for me...you GOT the job.


Come back all week for my review of each episode and follow the link to learn all you need to know about this lost gem.


6 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

How is it that I have NEVER heard of this show before?

M. D. Jackson said...

My God! It predates Space:1999 and Minority Report but it has elements of both! This is fantastic!

M. D. Jackson said...

And the set design is so Barbarella! I love this show!

Kal said...

I never knew about this one either but I am there for the whole 13 episodes run. I am not hoping for another Firefly but I want and DEMAND to be entertained by all the goofiness.

Will said...

I read about this show in Starlog magazine and then came on in NYC but was syndicated and never knew what damn time this was going to show up even with my Talmudic scholar style study of the TV Guide

Kal said...

I was the same with with the TV guide. I once knew everything that was on every channel all the time. You can find the entire series on You Tube.