Friday, May 10, 2013

If You Remember This Moment Then You Are My People

In July 1979, the Sony Walkman went on sale in Japan.
 
 
And it freakin' changed your world ya bunch of punks who don't understand this tech because all your music is played on your phone. Anyone could have figured that out but THIS was the real innovation. Look at those mighty headphones. They would CRUSH your fro but you didn't care. You had the HUMAN LEAGUE to listen to. It was the time of the Cold War but it never felt cooler to be on our side. You couldn't get one of these babies in Moscow unless you were a member of the Communist Party and you shopped at the GUM store.

 

6 comments:

Jordan said...

I agree 100%. There were many pretenders to the throne (and I owned a few of them, including some subsequent Sonys) but absolutely nothing beat the original.

That's one of the best, most iconic, most perfect industrial designs of the 20th Century. I still want one (even though I have an iPhone and an iPod and I haven't physically handled a cassette in about a decade).

Jordan said...

Amongst other great design details, the original Walkman used metal for most of its external body construction. Looking at the photo, I can remember what it was like to pivot that cassette door open on its slender steel hinge (there was a little raised thumb-ridge on the bottom front that you used). And I remember how, if you turned the Walkman around, the back had a couple of raised vertical grooves and the word "STEREO" embossed across the cool blue metal (and a couple of really tiny visible screws). The buttons were metal too. Just a class act.

Kal said...

I had the yellow waterproof one though I never tested that theory. It took abuse and never let me down. Did you have the duel cassette deck boom box so you would make your own mixed tapes. I have to dig in the basement for my box of tapes. I always made my own collage covers for them.

david_b said...

I've shopped in both Moscow and St Petersburg back in '90.., I did pick up some great bootleg albums dirt cheap.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My sister had the yellow waterproof one too. I was in university then and couldn't afford to buy such a luxury.

Kal said...

It was the only thing that kept me sane in University most days.

I was in Berlin around the time of unification and missed out on some great hats. I want a Russian fur hat.