Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Gift To Me


I was a pretty big fan of the first two seasons of AMC'S Hell on Wheels and hadn't heard anything about the show coming back especially with the events of Season 2's finale. I hadn't heard or read much about the show (which is filmed locally) so I thought it was cancelled for good which was unfortunate to me.


It was such an interesting program about the building of the railway across the American continent and the people involved from the lowest laborers (emancipated slaves and Irish immigrants - always a good mix) to the money man who is financing the whole operation. The work draws all manner of man - both noble and evil.

 
There are so many little stories to follow that focus on the issues of the time, greed, racism, love, regret, good and especially evil. I love how this show dishes out the evil. It's not a sweet and gentle western and that is no way works against it. I am actually surprised that this one has slid under the radar but on the same network as 'The Walking Dead' and 'Breaking Bad' you can understand.





But that is the perfect reason for you to catch up on the first two seasons and enjoy season 3 with me.

It's filmed about 100 km from where I live and I like that. I am most looking forward to the scenes filmed in the mountains as the railway tries to find a path through the rock. Those will be intense episodes.

The AMC Western Hell on Wheels returns Aug. 10 with a two-hour premiere that picks up in the winter of 1867. We find former confederate soldier Cullen Bohannon (Anson Mount) readying to assume control of the Union Pacific Railroad, emancipated slave Elam Ferguson (Common) wondering whether wearing a badge will be too dangerous for a new family man, and railroad impresario Thomas “Doc” Durant (Colm Meaney) scheming to get out of jail and back into business.

To find out an hour ago that SEASON THREE starts TONIGHT and runs every Saturday night is the coolest pop culture news I have heard this week. This is a great show to put on Saturday - where there is never anything new to watch anyways. I encourage those of you who are looking for something new and entertaining to come on board.



Plus Cullen Bohannon is just about the coolest name for a cowboy EVER.







You can find a great article about the show's premiere in Calgary by going HERE.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm already all over this one. The second season just absolutely rocked. These are the kinds of shows that I save for a rainy weekend when I can watch as one long, awesome movie. And tonight - Breaking Bad. I'm a kid in a candy store.

Kal said...

I hear ya. I am saving Breaking Bad for one marathon. I loved the SWEDE last season and I am sure he will show up to make more trouble this season. Remember, he didn't hang, just fell in the river.

Unknown said...

A few of us at work watch BB so I have to watch it episode by episode or I get all the spoilers. We are pretty ruthless with each other. We get a grace day but come Tues. morning.....
The Swede was(is?) a great villain. Check him out as the tall furry guy in Sanctuary, very few people knew it was him as he also played a human.