Friday, August 16, 2013

Broadchurch


If you like a good murder mystery set on the English coast then you can't do much better than Broadchurch. It's an eight episode story of what happens to the citizens of a sleepy coastal town when one of their children is murdered. WHY the child died is what the show tries to keep you interested in and for the first three episodes, I admit they got me asking questions that I want the answers to. I am becoming invested in the story which is what British dramas do so well.


Another attraction is that this one stars David Tennant as the newly appointed Chief Inspector who comes to the town just as the murder happens and is the only outsider who can properly sift through all the stories, the lies and the facts. It's hard to expect Tennant to make you forget his magical turn as the Doctor. Here he doesn't try to be Doctor Who (only sadder) which he could have done. He goes much deeper than that and completely changes his body language to play the Chief Inspector. Does that make any sense? Either way this is a guy loaded with issues and I found that I became very interested in Tennant as 'an actor' as I watched this series unfold.


I of course have my own theory as to who is the killer but I will save that for near the end. I got a eye for the details in these kinds of mysteries. It's funny how I will remember the strangest scenes that at first look insignificant but turn out to be keys to the puzzle. I like the mental dance these kind of shows put me through.

But like The Killing (AMC) it can be emotionally draining. No more than two episode a day for me.

With only eight episodes to watch, it's perfect lazy day viewing.

4 comments:

DrGoat said...

Sounds good. Always been a fan of British shows. Really into Doc Martin lately.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I remember seeing the trailer thinking "Doctor #10 solves a mystery with Rory". I might have to check it out.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, David Tennant played Hamlet. He's got chops.

Kal said...

My cat can play Hamlet. Not well but a passable job.