Saturday, August 3, 2013

DS9 The Way of the Warrior



Though I love the Klingons, this was my favorite episode of Star Trek DS9. When I was teaching this was on every Saturday morning around noon. I would come home from shopping and doing errands and enjoy some great Star Trek science fiction.

Conceived in 1991, shortly before Gene Roddenberrys death, DS9 centers on the formerly Cardassian space station, Terok Nor. After the Bajorans have liberated themselves from the long and brutal Cardassian Occupation, the United Federation of Planets is invited by the Bajoran Provisional Government to administer joint control of the station, which (originally) orbits Bajor. The station is renamed Deep Space Nine.


 
This part of the Star Trek Universe is my favorite of all the shows even counting the original Trek. I know that is heresy to say but it's the truth. The idea of Federation crew commanding a Cardassian space station on the Frontiers of the Alpha Quadrant near the edge of the Bajoran wormhole just worked for me. I love all the different races that the station attracts as well as those who would conquer everything the main characters hold dear.


There is lot of political maneuvering and background spy heroics but this is at it's heart an old fashion frontier western. With DS9 being the fort that protects those who seek protection in a dangerous region of space. They even have a great little ship called The Defiant to fight with. It not only is 'overpowered for it's size' it has one of the only federation cloaking devices. It's THE perfect ship for the job.


Avery Brooks anchored everything as Captain Benjamin Sisko who also was the Emissary of the Bajoran Prophets - the gods the people of Bajor worshipped and who live in the wormhole. I know it all seems incredibly complicated but it's actually very cool when the series gets rolling. This clip is proof of that. Enjoy as the Federation Station Deep Space 9 is attacked by an armada of Klingon warships. This kind of cool is the reason that I miss having a Star Trek show on TV every week.

 
Now about my Starfleet Academy series....
 

2 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I've been playing catch-up with DS9 the past couple of years. Its ensemble character development and long term storytelling were really ahead of the curve for network television and I wish I had been watching this when it was originally on.

M. D. Jackson said...

Yeah, like I said at the other post, DS9 is my second favourite Star Trek iteration after TOS. They could say things and show different viewpoints and even make controversial statements all couched in SF terms, yet they never forgot that they were telling an entertaining story. They didn't get all preachy like TNG, nor were they so stiff like the others that came after.

And I love Avery Brooks. He is so cool.