Thursday, August 1, 2013

Television Guilty Pleasures This Summer

 
Ice Road Truckers - This show is still about driving over unsafe roads with heavy loads and huge hillbilly egos. I hate Hugh this year because he's all talk and he can't LEARN and he passes blame for his failures on others. He has responsibilities as an owner to his truckers. I like that Lisa is back. And for once I think a trucker they feature will go through the ice and they will have the footage. It's the only way it could and should end. Strangely this reality show tells a better story than most dramas out there. It's interesting and fun to follow a season of trucking in Northern Canada by this band of insane characters. I do like watching the big trucks go down the road - especially ice roads.


Real Housewives Of Anywhere - I don't know why I can't resist these bitches and their manufactured drama. Again I think it has to do with ego and hubris and how I love to see the clash of the two. These people are so ridiculous that no mental patients, at their least lucid could ever create.


Under The Dome - the show where I hate every stupid character and I want to air to run out and I want them to be overtaken by carbon dioxide that they and their cattle are creating. Not enough green to compensate by my math. Of course they will all die long before this after the food and prescription drugs run out and they murder each other down to the last person and scrap of food.




Personally I am glad I don't smoke because can you imagine everyone running out of smokes at the same time while trapped under the dome? That is a bitch of an enforced non-smoking policy. And what about the houses? What kind of toxins are they putting into the air through the chimneys and furnace? Why is the Dome still clear. It would  fill with dust, smoke and other dark toxins that would blacken the inside and prevent plant growth. I would be like nuclear winter without the radiation. Lose the Sun. Lose it all.


See, when I am rewriting shows in my head, it's time for this one to dish out some answers or lose me. I just have to know how this all works itself out. Don't do another LOST on me where five years from now you are still trapped in your bubble like Gilligan was trapped on that island.

Catfish The TV Show - Again, damaged people who get caught with in their lies by the guy who coined the term 'catfishing' which is a term for people who make up fake profiles on the internet and have fake/real relationships with other people from across the country. But the people who want the relationships to be real are partly to blame because they ignore tons of red flags that would let them know that the person they love online is NOT who they say they are.


Strike Back - It's no Luther or Sherlock but it is from Britain it's as close to real world military operation on the front lines of the world's hotspots. One season it's the search for a terrorist, the next it's a case of missile triggers. And this isn't done at your local mall. No, this is fighting on the ground in some of your finer shitholes like Afghanistan or Kenya or Somalia or Pakistan.

It's about using the intel of the moment to affect the war on the ground. I like the two man team and their relationship. How they get themselves out of all the life and death scrapes they do is right out of Call of Duty. This show would be popular with fans of the video game. I am surprised there isn't a game based on the show already. For a wartime show it's got one character having a lot of sex with whichever woman he comes across. Does the stink of combat really the ultimate aphrodisiac?



Strike Back also has one of the funkiest theme songs I have heard in awhile. I like that they just don't shortchange me on something that always puts me in the mood for the adventure that is to come. I think it's one of the strongest theme songs in TV history and will argue that with anyone.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What? Amazing Race Canada isn't one of your guilty pleasures? It's one of mine this summer.

Kal said...

DAMN I forgot about that one. I am liking it too. I like Big BROTHER. Must do a repost.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

My brother was skimming the TV Guide and wondered aloud "Catfish: The Show"? I tried to explain the premise of the movie, about Internet relationships, but I couldn't remember it all that well.

He's a big Stephen King fan, so I thought he'd be all about "Under the Dome", but I guess he wants to finish the book first. I didn't realize this was a full series and not just a three episode miniseries like we've done with King's book before.



Kal said...

I thought King released some chapters in Entertainment Weekly then it got picked up as a series. It's more a book than a novella. I have read most Steven King but I need some answers and soon or I will ditch this one quick.

Unknown said...

The Dome is a sieve. In the second episode the military is spraying water on it and one of the kids feels it coming through. That's how they don't run out of air. As for food and toilet paper, you got me.

david_b said...

Love IceTruckers, Duck Dynasty is good as well.

As for Real Housewifes..? Primarily MILF, I'd say. I find it a guilty pleasure as well, sir.

"Men of a Certain Age", says it all I'm discovering.

DrGoat said...

You know guys, Real Housewifes will rot your brain. I tried watching it and I found myself thinking about murder suicide. Maybe just murder. These women are wasting precious oxygen.

DrGoat said...

Maybe I'm past that "Certain Age".

Kal said...

The Dome is a sieve? Why don't they tell me that every episode. Then it's not really a dome is it? OOOOOO, THEY ARE MESSING WITH ME AGAIN. THIS IS LOST ALL OVER AGAIN. THEY HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT TO DO AFTER THEY DROPPED THE DOME.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

david_b said...

Actually DrGoat, my humble apologies for the ommission.

To watch 'Housewives' you have to exercise the MUTE button. Heavily.

Like Kardashians, they're pretty to watch strut and strip (like they need a reason to...), but once they utter a word, it's ALL over.

The same applies here.

DrGoat said...

I knew you must have left out something, 'cause you are pretty much on target with most other things. No apologies needed.