Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Wolverine (2013)


I have a special history with comic books. I did my reading alone, wherever I happened to be. It was a stress relief thing and I just like the stories. It also helped me connect with people. I have fond memories of the Marvel Universe at the time the comic mini series that inspired The Wolverine was being released. It was a huge event. These mini-series could only be bought in comic book stores. So for many of us it was the first comic we hunted for. Logan was on a solo adventure, in Japan, involving ninjas and honor and all the cool things about the 'Ronin' genre of stories. How could we resist? You have to also remember this was also when Wolverine wasn't in every second Marvel comic they put out.

The movie I watched today had many great touches and just enough change to make a modern tale of a man of honor who does what right even if it means he has to kill. He is Samurai in his heart. Hugh Jackman nailed the character for me as he has in six other appearances. I suffered along with his Logan just like I suffered with him as Jean Valjean  (but for entirely different reasons). Seeing Logan's legendary healing factor break down is frustrating to watch.


But then there are moments in this movie where Logan is at his prime and he is fighting dozens of arrow shooting ninjas and the punishment he takes before he goes down shows how amazing a mutant hero Wolverine truly is when he's at his prime - Adamantium Claws and Instantaneous Healing Factor working in harmony to become an unstoppable force of nature. That scenes may feel to some that is was unnecessary but it was a wink to old fans like me that they GOT THIS and they understand what makes Wolverine so cool to begin with. It's always more than just the claws.

The movie had many cool fight scenes and maybe a bit to many sad Logan scenes but when it get's going it's a fun ride. The Viper was a great and risky choice for the female villain but Svetlana Khodchenkova pulls it off nicely. She was worthy to lead an evil organization like maybe Hydra in any future installments. It was nice to see a mutant super villain who has her own agenda and isn't leading some evil team.


I can't believe I didn't get the secret of the Silver Samurai because it's so obvious what's going on. I am embarrassed I missed it. And I was paying attention. TO THE BUTTERFLY IN THE ROOM!

There was a lot of good to see here and I liked the big fight pieces. Again, in 3D it looks like everything is filmed and shown in the dark and I am starting to hate that. But the story is solid. The creators didn't feel the need to bring in any other hero to save the day. This was Logan's battle to win or lose.



I have always been a fan of the little mini teasers that show up at the end of Marvel movies. This one is very cool and was worth the wait. I see big potential in next years Days of Future Past. Get used to me talking about it after The Wolverine got me primed for another Logan adventure, but this time a time travelling one where he get's to trash some Sentinels and save both the mutant and human race.

 

8 comments:

Mike D. said...

Great write up. Loved every word.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Wolverine is so compelling because his healing factor can only fix his physical wounds, not his emotional ones.

Mike D. said...

He's loaded with issues.

Mike D. said...

Oh...wait for some credits to pass before you leave...

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

You know who doesn't like those teasers at the end of the movie? Theater employees who have to wait until everyone leaves before they can mop the aisles for the next show!

Someone updated that teaser to YouTube were I saw it. It seems after "The Avengers", Fox is taking the hint and trying to shape the X-Men into its own movie-verse.

Mike D. said...

DAYS is going to be a blockbuster!

Michael Lynn P. said...

I am seeing it this weekend and I can't wait! It looks so good, and I'm glad Viper was put in it. I've been waiting for her to show up.

Kal said...

Viper was a perfect choice, new, fresh, capable of defeating him with her powers and resources. It's was someone you wouldn't expect to be the villain and that is fresh. It's a character we haven't seen yet in the movies. And there were more than a couple of times that I thought that Logan's goose was cooked because of her. I hope you like it as much as I did.