Monday, November 4, 2013

RIP Nick Cardy 1920-2013

 
Nick Cardy has sadly passed away on November 3rd 2013. He had a long and great art career in comics and later in Hollywood. He is probably best known for his artwork on the original run of the Teen Titans that ran from 1965 until 1973.
 
 







 
 
 
 
I was less aware of Cardy's work than most of his contemporaries but looking back I know I have read a whole shitload of comics that he had a hand in creating. That means I am also confessing to reading and enjoying all those Young Romance comics that were big back in the early 70s. I also enjoyed the Horror anthologies like Ghosts which Cardy also illustrated many covers for.
 









 

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I feel kind of bad that as an artist I didn't know his work better. I've seen most of these covers but didn't attribute them to a single artist.

The "From Beyond the Unknown" cover has been a personal favorite for years because of its goofiness but this Bat Lash cover or this Aquaman cover are pretty dark and dramatic.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Nick-Cardy-Aquaman.jpg

Kal said...

Aside from his Teen Titans stuff I would not have been able to recognize much of his work either. I love the DC Horror comic work thought. I have seen a shitload of his covers today and you would know them too. Very iconic. Just a worker bee and not a star like his contemporaries.

Mike D. said...

93 years is a long time. He lived a long full life. May he r.i.p God bless

Dr. Theda said...

He was a good person... met him a couple of times in the earlier days of the Charlotte-area "Heores-Con..."
That was the early 90's... Sorry to hear of his passing...