Sunday, November 17, 2013

Tales From The Swag Bag

 
I have a dream. Once day I wish to return to New York City and attend an actual comic book convention. They hold one every fall and it's huge. If I must brave the crowds to have the experience I might as well go somewhere awesome. I would love to spend a week hanging around the greatest city in the world. I even have my inside connection with the Mike D and the boys of Cultural Compulsive Disorder who I often blog for. In reward the boys thought of me when they were set up at New York Comicon and sent me a sweet bag of swag. It was just the kind of things I would have loved to grab for myself. Here are the highlights.
 
 
THREE THANOS BUTTONS? That is a gift from the gods. I love buttons. I was given a Bambi wall hanging once and I hated it so much that I started to collect buttons to cover it up. Damn there is something else I need to dig up from the Trunk of Cool.

 
This is a cool superhero beer coaster for my cabinet where I keep my can of Spider-Man pasta and Hulk Kraft Dinner and all my other cool non-toy superhero stuff.


 
I love these glossy postcards and bookmarks and trading cards that they hand out at Conventions. I have a huge box of this stuff from the late 80s and early 90s when I was having my comics shipped up North to me. My comic guy would just add a lot of this stuff in with my books just because he was getting it for free. I love the design work on the dozens of postcards and the mini-posters advertising upcoming comic book 'events'. Some of the best artists working today contributed art to those house ads. I so enjoyed going through my package this afternoon and remembering how much I enjoy this stuff.

 


 


Then came the comics. All stuff I don't have and would be interested in reading. I am especially pleased with the guide to DC graphic novels. The top 100, most all that I have read. It's a great resource for anyone who is fan of comic books and wants to be able to speak with authority about the very best stories the medium has ever produced. And it's also nice to remember that DC didn't always make crappy books. To the student of comic books in me this book is priceless. It will go next to my other comic related reference books after I read the crap out of it on the toilet. Yes, I read on the toilet and I like my info to come in bite sized portions. Much like my poops these days. TMI?
 

 

 
Thanks to the boys for thinking of me.
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dracula 3-D? I must seek out and watch this one sometime. : )

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A nice haul of stuff. I hope your dream comes true!

Mike D. said...

Anytime buddy. You are a team member, get your ass down here! As for the package, I knew I had to send you that ROM poster from Sean Hartter. Boy am I sad he passed away, but he left us some great work.... hope you enjoy it all!

Kal said...

I really appreciated it. So many great stuff to add to my collection of these kinds of adverts. Thanks for keeping me around.