Monday, November 18, 2013

We Live In A Golden Age Of Television My Friends - What I Am Currently Watching

I just realized I was able to watch Elementary on Friday night, when I WANTED to see it, not when some network scumbag tells me I should be watching it. I want to be able to play my shows around my very busy schedule. And the biggest bonus is that I can watch it all without commercials. I have so many cool shows in my queue that I can mix and match a pretty eclectic and entertaining playlist these days. I am almost to the point where I can't commit to anything new because I have so many new and old favorites filling up my days. It's worth it if only to avoid those dark days in August when I had NOTHING new to watch. Thank the gods for House of Cards and Broadchurch.

 
So much better than it deserves to be with Johnny Lee Miller doing a great interpretation of the famous detective. His relationship with his Watson (Lucy Liu) is both enriching and touching. I love the introduction of brother Mycroft this season which is even stronger than last year's exceptional one.
 
 
Who ever thought I would see Gordon Ramsey's heart. But there it is with some of the most charming and talented reality show contestants of all time. I want them all the win and how they deal with losing is handled in a humane way - something rare for TV these days. There is nothing exploitive about this show and that is rare for reality TV. I am not laughing at these contestants, I am cheering them on. This is one that I watched in two big chunks and that was the way to go. Fantastic judges and I learned a lot about cooking - that is often lost within the adult competitions.
 
 
This show has never been better. All the betrayals and backstabbing and dirty dealings. I can't get enough and there is just something about Juliana Margiles that I am helpless before. She's the most attractive character and woman on television.
 
 
Canadian show about cops who work psych crimes.
Solid and fresh with likable and relatable characters.
 
 
Blood vs Water is the best twist on the show since All-Stars. I like the family element that can either be a help or a burden. I would love to see the two relations make it to the end but that won't happen. It's fun to watch because no one is a clear favorite this time and some of the challenges are really inventive. Love the idea and execution of Redemption Island.
 
 
Oh my god this show is so good this season. That Geoffry Wright as Doctor Narcise is a brilliant piece of business. I hoped for more Al Capone but the rise of Michael Shannon's character is one of the stronger arcs this season. I love the woman who plays his wife. She has no problem with her 'husband' being a murderous gangster, she just wants to see him paid fairly for it. Great stuff.
 
 
I totally expected to hate this one but this is the show I go to right after Agents of SHIELD. Andy Sanburg can rub me wrong like Adam Sandler but here he follows CALVIN'S FIRST LAW OF COMEDY SUCCESS - give the rest of the cast members all the good lines and you just react off them. Worked for Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond and all the way back to the Andy Griffith Show. Terry Crews is very funny playing against type. He's a big strong man with a marshmallow for a heart. And the cold humorless readings of Anthony Braugher is a comedy revelation. Who knew he could be so funny being so deadpan. He is definite Emmy Bait. I call this one a modern day Barney Miller and I defy you not to find something to laugh out loud at in each episode. I hope this one gets a pick up for next year. It's a solid comedy.
 
 
Still solid and entertaining with many nice Easter eggs spread throughout for fans of Marvel comics. I am hating the moment when Coulson finds out he is an LMD (Life Model Decoy - a sophisticated robot) but I have confidence that they will handle the whole 'reveal' and 'resolution' in an interesting way.
 
 
Saving this one up until I have the first six episodes. It's the only way I can deal with not knowing what is going to happen NEXT. I need to burn myself out on this show with a binge watch and then return to my normal, non-zombie infested life. This show rips my emotions apart like none I have seen in recent years.
 
 
Another one I am saving up for a bit. They always stop the episode just when it's getting good and I hate having my enjoyment ended just because the hour is ended. I control what I watch, when I watch it and HOW I watch it, bitches. That is the promise of the digital revolution.
 
 
Love this show. The best part is watching with my mother and laughing about the stunts each of us would have had to do and how badly we would fail. We would be out before the race even started.
 

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Well, I may need to take some of these recommendations into account with Korra's second season wrapped and there are no new episodes of Sherlock or Beware the Batman until January.

Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles just started its new season and has really hit the ground running introducing new bad guys and brining in that latest iteration of Casey Jones.

The latest Super Sentai series, Kyoryuger, has slid into the franchise's typical tropes, so I've kind of gotten off the wagon. But there plans for a Zyuranger (on which the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was based) cast reunion for a 2014 TV Movie, so I would for sure come back for that.

Kal said...

So they are bringing back Beware the Batman? I liked that show but was to afraid to look up it's status after hearing bad news that it was gone.

Are you almost out of your Japanese shows or will they never run out.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Wikipedia lists at least two "Beware" episodes with January airdates, so I think its a safe bet they'll finish off the first season before we know whether its cancelled or not.

Toei Studios puts out a new Sentai series every year, so they aren't likely to run out. Its just the new episodes haven't really been up to the quality they did with their Pirate Ranger season in 2011.

I was marathoning some classic Twilight Zone episodes last week, but I don't have the time to continue just now.

Kal said...

You should blog about those episodes. I would be interested on your take on how some of them have held up over time.