Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Good News From My GED Classes

A special message to those of you who were wondering how my last class of GED students did on the final tests that they wrote last week. Of the 8 that took the test, 6 received their certification which gives me a 75% success rate....a full 15 PERCENTAGE POINTS higher than the normal school average.

I am feeling very chuffed by my success. Gives me much more confidence going into my next 120 hours worth of classes. I know twice as much as I did about the course and how to teach it effectively than I did the first time where I was just parachuted in to complete a job for another teacher who got ill. I did so well that they asked me to stay and share the class with the other instructor who was sick but is better now. They combined the best of our skills into one super teacher who should get twice of many students through the tests this time. I am excited to have a math expect working with me because that leaves me just the Reading Comprehension, Social Students and Essay Writing to teach.

I will also be learning how deliver the rural GED program so that I can take over a class or two of those come the fall. Anything to add to my teaching skill set is all gravy to me.

With two of us we will also be able to do some private tutoring for the ones who will be having more trouble picking up the math skills than the others. Any ones that Colin has to leave behind, I can come in behind and pick up the slack and fill in the gaps. I really want us to compliment each other an not get in each other's way.

This is truly the best educational environment I have ever been a part of and I think I am the right person to help those who want to improve their education. My compassion, hard work, ability to think on my feet and especially my sense of humor is going to make me a big success in this new line of work I have chosen for myself.

 

4 comments:

bliss_infinte said...

Good to hear, congrats, Cal!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Way to go, Cal. Sounds like adult education is your forte.

Unknown said...

Great news. Congratulations Cal. Onwards and upwards.

j-swin said...

Bully for you brother!