Monday, August 10, 2015

I Freakin' Hate You TRUE DETECTIVE SEASON TWO

Just when I thought we could have SOMETHING resembling a semi happy ending so that all the pain and suffering would have been justified I get the ending I deserved. I expected too much didn't I? I feel like everything was just one big squandered opportunity. I shouldn't feel so scammed. I won't be around for season three. I felt like I was stupid, too stupid to figure out what was going on here all along just like with LOST. As it turns out, it was the program that turned out to be stupid. I was just the idiot who watched it.

But atmosphere alone isn't enough to save a show; it can just as easily smother it like smog. Many of the season's visual and sonic strong points gave off an air of impending doom, but when doomsday arrived the payoff couldn't justify all that time spent sitting around waiting for it. So you're left with flyover glimpses of roads that didn't lead anywhere, or portraits of people so visibly exhausted and immiserated by their lives that the feeling becomes contagious. When you're dealing with a mystery as murky as this one was, that's just not enough fuel to power you through.

Ultimately, this season of "True Detective" barely seemed concerned with who murdered Ben Caspere, or why. The mystery and the crime itself were never more important than the atmosphere of dread and corruption that permeated those early episodes. If only that was enough to hold more interest.

Season 2 of True Detective is why I have trust issues.

 
I was so in love with 98 percent of the first season. If not for that tacked on ending that solved no mystery ruined what up to that point I viewed as one of the greatest shows EVER on TV. Then came season two and for most of it I had NO idea what was going on. I couldn't follow the crime or the conspiracy. Give me SOME clues so that I can play along with the solving of the mystery. Nothing was laid out for me like I expected or had been used to expecting. That frustrated me. But I was so upset how great the finale was and how much I cared about the fate of these characters. The way Ray's message never got out broke my heart. And poor doomed Frank. He never had a chance from the start. But looking back I like the season more and more. It really did all make sense in the end. Our lives amount to the hard decisions we make or are forced to make and how we live with ourselves after tragedy all but consumes us. No happy endings. No redemption. Just collateral damage.
 
But now I have to admit I would watch a good revenge fantasy with those two women and that baby we saw at the end. What are they up to? Only at the end did you capture my interest True Detective. I just wish you could have given me more to chew on as we went along.
 

4 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

In the end it didn't even matter who killed Caspere.
Plus the killer was some guy we never end really saw till the last episode.

I loved Season 1. EVEN and maybe ESPECIALLY the ending.
But this one. I was there every day till the end. But I only just watched the end last night.

Makes me leary for Season 3.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The mystery part of the story was very poorly handled but I liked the performances and how all the characters ended up in the end.

Fiendenstein said...

Just finished it, I thought this one was ok to follow, the last season got me a bit mixed up but this one was fine. Maybe I was ready this time around.

I loved the style (it was a bit Lynch-esque in parts) and I love both seasons as they are really pulpy, with great characters and flawed heroes who are doomed from the start. The message not going out was definitely heartbreaking, but the legacy of having two bonafide sons made up for all that. And it's definitely heartbreaking, but because you care, which is always a good thing.

More than anything, I love it because it's different in both tone and story telling. Hell yeah I'd watch a third, can't wait for it (if there is one)
Sorry for the long reply, still coming down from the finale!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Like the first season the second season is still sticking with me. I should have known there was no escape for those guys. I was thrilled that the ladies lived to fight another day.