Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Preview To Gotham By Gaslight


The book - Gotham By Gaslight is a legend among us comic book lovers and rightfully so. It was one of the first books that DC produced that took our hero back into the past where we find that every era needs a Batman to protect them. In this case it's Victorian England and Jack The Ripper is on a killing spree. Into this horror comes the Batman and you are amazed at how well he fits into this world. It was amazing to me how easily the whole concept translated. It started a trend of stories that showed what would happen if say Superman or Wonder Woman or the Flash existed in another time and place. A whole new vein of great storytelling ideas was found to be mined. A hero is a hero whenever you find them.

 
 
 
This was one of the first books that Mike Mignola (of Hellboy fame) did and it cemented his position as a unique artist and visionary. Brian Augustyn and P. Craig Russel also went on to bigger and better things. All of this talent, combined with better coloring on heavier stock paper and a cardboard cover screamed exclusive. Yes it cost more but it was so worth it.

 
 
I loved the story and the art which perfectly captured a foggy Whitechapel. The whole production feels so much better than your regular monthy comic book. It's the kind of book you share with people who know of Batman but don't read comic book. People forget that if this book had failed we would have NONE of the great Elseworld stories that we have enjoyed over the years from The Flashpoint Paradox, Red Son and Kingdom Come, which I feel is the greatest Elseworld story of all time. Gotham By Gaslight paved the way for it all.

 
So it makes total sense to me that this would be the newest film from DC animation. It's time has come and I am excited to see how this one turns out. I have this one in my file now so I will post my opinion tomorrow. If this one is done now, and Flashpoint exists in DC's animated universe, can KINGDOM COME or RED SON be far behind? I know Batgirl Year One is next and I am excited for that one as well.

 
 



No comments: