Friday, April 13, 2018

The Covers Of V For Vendetta By David Lloyd

V for Vendetta first appeared in Warrior here in the UK, and remains my favourite comic story of all time. Warrior was an anthology so the covers were not exactly spectacular - only occasionally focusing on V, sometimes it was Miracleman or some of the other characters - occasionally a mash up with multiple characters from different stories.

It wasn't until DC bought the rights and re-released the whole series that V finally got the covers it richly deserved. I loved David Lloyd's work on the series but his covers really set the seal on it. Not your typical superhero comic covers, incredibly understated, but telling a story all by themselves. If I have a favourite it's probably the cover of issue 1 with issue 3 a close second, capturing the iconic moment of V's escape from Larkhill "Resettlement Camp".


- Ken Casey










 

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So great, I agree!

Jordan said...

V for Vendetta is absolutely brilliant; one of the best things I've ever read. I went through it again last year and was, again, astonished at how great and how moving it is (and how timely it remains).

David Lloyd's artwork is great for many reasons but I especially like his refusal to use edge lines (as nearly all comic book illustrators do) and -- although this was probably Alan Moore's decision -- the absence of written-out sound effects, as in Watchmen.

Barks said...

Very cool! I haven’t seen these before- it’s a shame they’re not in my TPB.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I watch this movie every year at Guy Fawkes day. It's such a great story that improved with each viewing. Natalie Portman does one of her greatest roles and good for Hugo Weaving for taking a role where you never saw his face. Something Dougray the idiot Scott turned down like he missed out on Wolverine. Dumbass.

Jordan said...

I just wish the movie had a better director...or that the Warchowskis had done it themselves. Such an inadequate presentation given the brilliant casting and design.

And I think the re-write and re-plotting is OK, but someday I'd like to see a movie that does the original story as written, since it's so much bleaker and more dramatic.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

After League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (which I loved) but is so far from the Alan Moore comic book as that story can get so I expected so little from V for Vendetta after reading the entire story many times. I was lucky to KNOW of V when you sorta needed to be a comic fan of some knowledge to know the story even existed if you lived outside of England. In this case the movie is half full for me. Feel same about Watchmen which I thought could never be filmed, ever and turned out great so who knows.

Rob R said...

Great post! I'm stealing... :)