Monday, November 12, 2018

My Heart Is Broken Right Now

 
 
I will do a much longer post on this topic but I am too upset right now. I knew it would happen soon but you never really expect someone you love to pass. It's like you wish they could all be immortal. Stan all but recreated the comic book industry when it had fallen into reprint books and neutered monster comics. And then he and Jack Kirby created the ultimate monster comic in the Fantastic Four and made the monsters a family. He created a downtrodden superhero in Spider-Man who learned the hard way that "With Great Power Came Great Responsibility" and he taught me all about racism with stories of teenagers with amazing mutant powers. He did all this while doing something complete different. Stan didn't preach, he just spoke the truth and wrote the truth in a way we all could relate. Like Mr. Rogers, he taught us all the RIGHT lessons in life. Everything important I learned in about heroism and sacrifice and tolerance I learned from Stan Lee. For me he lived up to the hype and the legend. Teach your children who this man was. He deserves it. A bigger booster of the comic book industry never existed and we will not see his like come our way ever again.

 
 
But one of his most important quotes came from his regular column, "Stan's Soapbox," which appeared in Marvel Comics issues. This particular one was from 1968, and spoke out against racism and bigotry:
 
 
 
 
After falling in love with the biopic Bohemian Rhapsody which tells the story of Queen the way a fan like me wants to see it, I remembered this fake poster. I hope someone in power sees the genius of such an idea and goes into production TOMORROW. This one has Oscar bait all over it.
 
 

 
 

6 comments:

Count Robot said...

a great man has left the planet. 'nuff said.

jester59388 said...

In these dark times, the world just got a whole lot darker. Excelsior, Stan the Man! You will be very, very much missed!

Rob R said...

Well said, Cal!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh dear, I had not heard this yet. A very sad day indeed. But what a legacy he left! Thank you, Stan Lee.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

that ad with Cranston as Lee is the shiznit. Yeah, was watching reels of Stan on YouBoob late last night... the breadth of his influence over so many lives, our included... it's just too big to process. I was literally READING MARVEL COMICS when the news came in, after shopping for Marvel Legends at Walgreens. Not kidding.

DrGoat said...

The world is a little bit less Amazing today. He creativity was a big part of my growing up. In Valhalla he dwells now. What a great life.
Hulk sad.