Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Crisis On Infinite Earths Part One And Two


My biggest problem with the whole CW Universe is all the earnest of the acting and the Jr High romances. But these ARE live action comic books I am talking about here. If I want complex I will go to Watchmen. If I want big budget television superheroes I can always count on the CW to find a mix between cool and camp and cringe. In fact the opening scene from part one (Supergirl 9) will either make you barf or give you goosebumps. It's pretty awesome to me because they are at least trying to tell a larger story. The music is bold, the acting is overwrought but the costumes are colorful. It's all that I love about comic books. Everyone is gloomy and sad because everyone is going to die. Nothing is subtle about Crisis on Infinite Earths nor should it be.



Now I go into this confessing that I don't watch the regular series from which this story mines it's characters. I find there are too many episodes of drivel to get through to get to the good stuff. Luckily for me I get all the references because I have read all the comic books that the stories are based on. Smart for the creators for sticking close to the source material. If it's not broke, don't fix it. The spirit is here. It's goofy but it's here. I look forward to these annual crossover movies just for this style and spirit. Everyone knows it's a live action cartoon but they are playing it for all it's worth. If you like your superhero movies you could do worse than getting into these stand alone projects. That way you see the best the actors have to give without enduring a 22 episode season for years just for a few emotional payoffs and cool CGI moment. Crisis gives you all the best stuff only condensed. It's brilliant actually. The superhero edit I have been begging for. Like an annual where all the heroes show up to save not only their world but the entire multiverse of worlds. That is a huge undertaking by five shows in one connected universe on one television network. It's a bold idea and an even bolder commitment. But the CW has maintained quality and Crisis started out strong.

I am having fun figuring out who will die because a bunch of characters have to die to keep up this level of angst. Yup, there goes the first great death of the Crisis. Not bad. I believed the tears of the survivors. Good point to leave things as we wait for tomorrow and the next chapter which is Batwoman 9 which includes one of the great pieces of stunt casting for this whole project.


Kevin Conroy is THE definitive voice of the animated Batman and has been so for decades so it's a nice nod to his role in Batman mythology. Here he plays the Kingdom Come Batman because of the exoskeleton he wears. When he talks I close my eyes and can hear that great tone. If you are observant you can see many other moments of stunt casting like Burt Ward , the 1966 Robin who gets to deliver a line before his world is destroyed - Earth 66 of course.

 
They even found a great way to re-unite the Smallville Superman and Lois that was sweet and cute and made me want to barf in the best way. Tom Welling has always been a good Superman and it was nice to see him get to do his part. Erica Durance played a great Lois. She was brave, resourceful, smart, difficult, demanding and beautiful. All the things I look for in my Lois Lanes.
 
 
Even Brendan Roth chips in by playing two parts. The Superman role from the movies and Ray Palmer, the Atom on Heroes of Tomorrow.
 
I do hate all the pep talks but each episode is full of them. That is the cringe worthy part. Way too earnest and gloomy.
 
If you are new to this Universe I am sure there a primers on You Tube. It might help you to use one to prepare you with some back story. But you don't need it.

 
And do I see John Constantine?
Okay, maybe he requires some explanation.
He's the Doctor Strange of the DC Universe.
 
 

No comments: