Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Alice Roosevelt Was A Real Broad

 https://thoughtcatalog.com/jeremy-london/2019/05/alice-roosevelt/


When Alice was 15 years old and her father was the governor of New York, she was such a troublemaker that her dad and stepmom threatened to send her to a very conservative, discipline-oriented school in New York City. Alice wrote her parents the following threat: “If you send me I will humiliate you. I will do something that will shame you. I tell you I will.” Her parents backed down.



I think she is trying to retroactively seduce me.

At a time when the overwhelming majority of Americans were Christian and to defame Christianity was akin to making openly racist statements now, Alice was a self-described “pagan” who dismissed Christianity as “sheer voodoo.”


She quickly established a public image as a rambunctious, irreverent girl, doing things that no girl did at the time such as wearing pants, placing bets with bookies, and racing cars down the street—sometimes with boys, sometimes alone.



She had a pillow that was embroidered with a saying of hers that became her catchphrase: “If you haven’t got anything good to say about anybody, come sit next to me.”


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like she had her father's bravado and tenacity.

gogosox60 said...

Lived into the Jimmy Carter era always defending her father's legacy the rest of her life.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Lived up to his legacy as a women in that era was not an easy game to play but I understand she was amazing. But did not suffer fools.