Saturday, December 23, 2023

Short Takes

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Talk about frantic. There is so much running and jumping and punching and shooting and rolling around with all those flashes of color that I think I need a nap after this lighter than air adventure. Do we need it? No. It's not the greatest superhero sequel in fact it's right on that middle line that reflects all the ways that the studios have trained my brain over the decades to take this kind of movie with NO surprises and makes me like it. I think I resent that movie most of all for that very reason. It's playful and forgettable all at once. I don't know about anyone else out there but I see this film as the end of a certain kind of superhero movie and hopefully the start of a new more interesting direction. I didn't hate it but it was dull for all the mindless energy on screen. I just wanted to feel like I got the whole meal and not just fast junk food for my brain.



2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have always found the Aquaman movies dull. I've never been able to make it through the first one and the second one was no screaming hell either. I have no intention to bother even watching the third. Jason Momoa is one handsome hunk but even he can't carry this thankless series.

j-swin said...

Well seeing how this is the last DC movie in this “phase” I don’t think Debra has to worry about a third movie. I thought the first one was a great popcorn flick, lots of action, fast paced and just the right amount of humor. I’ve heard the second isn’t as good but I rarely agree with critics, I’m very much looking forward to seeing it.