Friday, March 6, 2009

Whose the Crazy One Now, Calvin?


This altered comic from Lisa_mynx scares me to think of all the kids whose imagination is stifled by having ADHD medication and other pharmaceuticals shoved down their throats. When I was teaching they often tried to get us to be responsible for distributing meds to the kids but I always refused. I have enough on my conscience to worry about than to be complicit in that evil. Perhaps I am reading too much into a silly cartoon but who of you didn't feel a bit sad that Hobbes was left as only a stuffed tiger at the end.

4 comments:

Wings1295 said...

It is a sad end. I am sure there are some kids who benefit from the drug, but I think more parents/doctors over use it, for sure.

Seems like the adults are happier if the kids just "behave" rather than be themselves. :(

Yesterday, my ten-year-old son decided he wanted to wear a weird hat to school. I had no problem with it, as he has done it many times before, in face he had a whole 'crazy hat month' of his own creation one time.

I was surprised to find his choice was a pink, 60s, beehive costume wig that belongs to his older sister. But I said nothing.

Off we walked down Main St. to the bus stop. And he said he kept it on at school all day. I asked what he said when people questioned his choice, he said he just told them "It locks in moisture."

Weird kid, to be sure. But he is himself and I wish I could have had his courage at that age.

Bubbashelby said...

Wings, your son sounds awesome!

I think this altered comic speaks volumes.

I know I saw, said and did harmless imagination driven things as a kid that would get me locked up if I were a child today. But look at me now, a normal upstanding healthy member of society.

At least, that's what the doctors keep telling me.

And the voices.

;)

Unknown said...

*sigh* again with the "LJ"...

Darius Whiteplume said...

I was treated for ADD as an adult and it really helped taking meds to get over the hump, but ultimately you have to just deal with how you are.

As far as imagination goes, I used to love painting gaming miniatures. After I started treatment I gave it up. I still don't enjoy it anymore, but want to. Weird.