Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tony Millionaire's Iron Man et al.



I used to think that any reasonable artist/creator could take a concept outside of their usual area and do a fairly decent job of it. After all, these comic icons themselves are pretty resiliant. However, 'Iron Man' fighting luncheon meats is leaving me cold (like cold cuts - see what I did there?) Millionaire's cartoony style isn't helping my desire to purchase this comic either. This is from an upcomming 3 issue series called 'Strange Tales'. Other artists include Peter Bagge's take on 'Hulk', Jason on 'Spider Man' and Dash Shaw's 'Dr Strange'. Paul Pope does the first cover. Maybe I know too much of these indie artist's works to ever enjoy their mainstream efforts. Paul Pope's recent 'Batman 100 Years' left me with the same feeling. I am surprised that I have this opinion especially since I often bitch about the same old same look to most superhero comics and these ARE fresh takes. It just seems like they are making fun of something that I have a fondness for. Maybe reading the series will alter my thoughts.





http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Tony-Millionaire-Stark.html&Itemid=113

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2009/06/marvel-strange-tales-max-strange-tales-indeed/