Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Comments Comments Comments

 

I was doing my reading rounds and I found another blogger bitchin' (rightfully so) about the dearth of comments on the genius we bloggers create daily. I have killed my brain thinking of why this is so. I know I shouldn't care and often do not because such things are totally out of my control.

Its a vicious cycle in the blog game - we write what we know and what we love without a care about what others think but then discover we DO care - like crack addicts we care where the next comment 'hit' is coming from. When you start getting more than 100 people declaring their love by 'following' you it gets even more addicting to hear from these obviously keen observers of all that is brilliant in the world. Just wait until you install a sitemeter that monitors your daily hits. Then you are really screwed. Suddenly you have over 1000 unique visits one day (my personal high) and two weeks later you crack 400. I personally like to think that 600 people were killed when a chunk of space rock hit their Internet cafe while they were ALL checking out my site. Its the son-of-a-bitch in me that likes to believe in things like that.

No one told us it was gonna be like this when this kick ass technology gave any gumby with a computer the ability to shout out to the world. Like the Simpsons cartoon where Lisa starts her own newspaper (only to inspire such great works as the 'Lenny Saver'), it appears we all have everything and nothing to say all at the same time and that is pretty cool. I for one don't want it any other way. No one can tell you how to 'be' a blogger or how to do it 'correctly' You just know that you are 'one'(a blogger) when you start 'one'(a blog) and anything you create comes from you so its by definition pretty cool.

So be happy with any comments you get. If you like what someone else writes, comment on their site because you KNOW what it will mean to them. Don't be a dick but put in the effort. Trust me, when you get that comment from the other side of the world that tells you that they also love their 'Hello Kitty' pjs you will be flying high all week (thank you again Ramish) and isn't that really the point? Connecting one on one over a free Internet in a free world free from alien invaders and tentacled cephalopods? (sorry, had to get that one in there for my peeps)

So to Dr. Zibbs of That Blue Yak I repeat what I wrote in his comment section. It should be embroidered on a pillow and one day may very well be when Calvin's Canadian Cave Of Coolness becomes a place you take your kids to visit. Hey bitches, it COULD happen.

"We all feel this way Zibbs. Our genius needs validation and care like the hot house orchids that we are. But those bitches don't get that. So keep writing and hate everyone who are too selfish, too unimaginative or too illiterate and bipolar to comment. Realize you are superior and squeeze your rage and bitterness into a tight ball till like the fossils it becomes a fuel source. Then light that fuel source and burn the world...burn it all down. Fuck em. But you can't quit. That is a punk ass bitch or Sarah Palin move. Same difference."
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Drake said...

I only have 20 followers at the E Banana (now the E Banana Tumblr has about 40) and 16 at the Macabre Drive-In Theater so i don't expect a lot of comments, plus i don't think i'm all that interesting.
I wish i had more followers and commenters but i just go with the flow and try not to worry about it.
I try to comment and should comment more, like this long ass one. :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I always appreciate the time you take with my site. We seem to share several things of interest and kindred spirits are what I am in this for.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I've noticed a huge drop in comments on my blog as well.

Leviathud said...

Well I love being here!

Wings1295 said...

Well, a lot of it may have to do with the holidays, as well. This is a very chaotic, time-sparse bit of the year.

I have been scattered with things, as well.

That said, I am not going to worry about it. I am going post when and what I want and if I gets me some comments, then yay! If not, then whatever.

:)

Wandering Coyote said...

I think it's important to not take these things so personally.

Besides, with your posting frequency, I'm lucky if I can just keep up with your post, never mind commenting! But - don't take it personally!

Sam G said...

Yup. I'm just happy to get any comments or followers at all on my rinky-dink blog.