Monday, December 14, 2009

Hurt Locker - Year's Best Film?


I hate that I have to wait a few more weeks to declare my top ten films of the year. I know you are all waiting on pins and needles so I will throw you this quick bone. Since two film critic societies (Boston and Chicago) have declared it their top movie of the year I too will have 'The Hurt Locker' on my top ten list. Its a terrific film about soldiers who do the dangerous job of bomb disposal in Iraq and how they become addicted to the danger. In the extended field for this year's best film Oscar, this independent gem is sure to get the nod and that is good for the industry as a whole. The cast is uniformly excellent and there are several moments when you will hold your own breath least you detonate an explosion from your seat. I hope the lead actor, Jeremy Renner gets a shot at best actor. This reminds me of last year when 'The Wrestler' and Mickey Rourke got alot of early buzz but went home empty handed. Renner's performance was so low key and natural that he also might be rejected for the top prize when put up against a more flashy performance. Did anyone go 'full retard' this year? I can't remember. I tried to dig up my review for this film but finding anything is my voluminous post list is difficult. So I will leave you with the trailer instead.

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Huh. On your recommendation, Cal, I am gonna add this to my queue!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Have I ever steered you wrong?