Monday, December 14, 2009

They Not Only Are Using Tools But They ARE Tools


I warn you and warn you and warn you again. Biologist Mark Norman has done his due diligence and documented how octopus use split open coconut shells as hiding places. This is the first know use of TOOLS by an invertebrate animal. Does this scare the crap out of anyone else? Next thing they will be flying F-16s and bombing the White House. Slippery slope people, slippery slope. With the way that cephalopods gossip (it's in their genetic make-up to talk about you behind your back) you know that this 'tool' thing is going viral under the sea. Soon they will all be looking for something to bash you in the head with. Lets hope this octopus was just some retard who accidentally discovered what he could use a coconut for because, if he ever puts the pieces together in his spongie little mind, we are going to be in it deep. I couldn't embed the video of this 'ability' so please follow the link after the italics to see for yourself.

An octopus would dig up the two halves of a coconut shell, then use them as protective shielding when stopping in exposed areas or when resting in sediment.

This, on its own, astonished the team. Then they noticed that the octopuses, after using the coconut shells, would arrange them neatly below the centers of their bodies and “walk” around with the shells—awkwardly.


http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=2528812496347938474

The following video may fascinate some but it terrifies me. Doesn't help that Mr Announcer with his pro-octopus agenda mentions nothing about how their ability to squeeze through tubes might make out underwater stations vulnerable to attack. Kill them all now - only way to ensure our safety.



http://www.neatorama.com/

10 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I knew you'd post this as soon as I saw it on Boing Boing.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am nothing if not vigilant. Have I become a one trick pony?

Wings1295 said...

Agree with the doc, I can't see a tentacle without thinking of my Canadian pal! :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks Wings...that means the message is getting out there...albiet slowly

chunky B said...

I am going to have to agree with the above, the first thing I thought of was your blog, then I thought "holy crap! He's right!"

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Hell yeh I am right. You don't know how nice it is to read comments like these. Welcome to the struggle my brothers. Can't hide your head in the surf any longer.

Sam G said...

Ha! Same here. When I saw this on the news my first thought was; "Wait'll Cal sees this!"

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have typecasted myself haven't I?

vancouver mark said...

Well I for one WELCOME our new octopus overlords, and hope that they might find a useful place in their new world for me, perhaps over-seeing human resisters
(cough).

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Frickin' collaborators and species traitors - they just never learn. I don't like HAVING to do the wetwork but I am prepared to do it - quick and painless. I owe you at least that. Like assimilation by the Borg, I am doing you a favor by taking you out of the game - Vancouver Mark...if that is who you REALLY are.