Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dusty Abell Art


My blog brother Wings sent me a link showing this terrific peice of art highlighting most of the great pop culture characters of the 1970s. I would love a huge framed poster of this for the cave of cool. I wonder if Dusty Abell is working on similiar prints for the decades after the 1970s. I have posted this image before but its worth a second look.


When I was enjoying that I read in the comments that there was another one showcasing action figures of the 1970s. That was the point at which I wet my pants. I am on the search through the various action figure sites for the Big Jim P.A.C.K. figures shown here. I had Dr. Steel with his steel karate chop hand but none of the others. Big Jim started out as a action figure athlete but soon he branced out to have more variations and adventures than even GI Joe did. I had alot of his vehicles and sets. You could see visiable change in his bicepts when you bend his arm the right way. On his back was a button that allowed you to do a karate chop motion with the right hand. You even got a break-apart piece of wood (plastic) that Jim could chop in half.


My first figure was a Big Josh. When we were first leaving for Europe they had one in the giftshop of the airport. I begged my Mom for it but she had alot on her mind. It was the first time we had ever been on a plane. On the way to the plane we had to walk outside for a bit and it was very windy and snow storming. A man's cap flew off his head and by instinct I ran into the storm, across the tarmack to rescue it for him. Freaked my mom out but good. The man gave me five dollars for doing that so I turned around and was off again but this time to that gift shop to get my Big Josh figure. I ran past security and into the store, got the figure and ran back to the plane. Mom was pissed but I didn't care. Josh was perhaps the gayest lumberjack in the world with his shorts and boots and vest. He came with an axe that you could use that Big Jim arm motion button to chop a log in half that came with the figure.



Good Times

http://wings1295.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Big Josh is a big 'mo.

Wings1295 said...

Knew you'd like the pic!

vancouver mark said...

Nowadays Big Josh basically works the Pride Parades.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I remember Big Jim, but not Big Josh. Looking back, I do wonder why there was no Big Steve, Mark, or Todd.

That's right. I made a Steel Magnolias reference. What?!?

Anonymous said...

Wrinkles often iron themselves out while training and realistically, you are rated on your skill and not on the number of creases! The pants of a karate gi are usually held intact by an elastic waistband or drawstring and the one you choose again boils down to the comfort level you would like to endure.karate gi
enjoyable article.