Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The 'F' Word


"A 12-year-old student from Florida was arrested November 4 for breaking wind during class and disturbing his classmates by shutting off their computers at Stuar's Spectrum Jr./Sr. High School. The police called this a "deliberately passed gas to disrupt the class" and "disruption of a school function."

I have seen this happen many many times when I was teaching. Frankly, I always found it funny, especially when it not done on purpose.

Deliberate farting is another thing entirely. That is akin to dumping a full cat box on me and the other students and that kind of disrespect I would never tolerate. What made me a good teacher is that I was strict but easy going. The kids always knew where the line was and expected consequences to be dished out if anyone crossed it. Kids hate when other kids get away with being disruptive. I always give them a chance to save themselves from consequences but some don't take that opportunity.

Those who rejected the chance then got my FULL attention including talking to their parents, even visiting their homes if the kid couldn't get himself under control. Privileges like free computer time or recess could be taken away. After awhile they would rather toe the line than be a nuisance because they hated me being all up in their business all the time. It's a good thing for all the kids to see one kid being made an example of. I never really had bad discipline problems after that. Using humor goes a long long way with kids, especially jr high kids who need the chance to learn how to behave and how to resist the temptation to do something stupid. We all tested the boundaries when we entered our teen years and unfortunately that is the time when parents stop setting limits - when a kid needs structure and a safety net the most.

So farting is okay in the right context but CRAPPING your pants and shaking it out of your pant leg near my classroom door is NEVER ACCEPTABLE. Happened to me once. After lunch one of the kids looked down and asked if that was a melted chocolate bar. After a few seconds we both realized it WASN'T. I was across the room and out the window so quick and so was everyone else. I went around to the window of the Principal and told him that until THAT was taken care of I would not be coming back inside. So say the kid who did it was making a cry for help (which he got). I thought at first it was a cry to buy him some Huggies diapers.

http://www.thisblogrules.com/

1 comment:

TS Hendrik said...

That is the saddest, most disturbing story I've read in... at least a day.

(it is the internet obviously I've almost always heard worse things more recently)