Sunday, January 3, 2010

Real Survival

This image illustrates why Asia will rise in prominence in the next fifty years. They have such a sense of invention and creative innovation that we have lost here in the western world. They do more with less and we do less with more. I am so lucky to have been born where and when I was. I have almost zero survival skills. I am not talking about building a fire or pitching a tent. I am talking about real skills - to fix something that is mechanically broken - to get out and hustle for pennies everyday. I feel like those lumpy people from 'Wall-E' and it's not a great feeling to be having right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you ever heard of or are old enough and had the chance to read the comic Joe Palooka, but he had a friend with a shed on the back of his bike like this guy has. I don't remember any more about it than that.
you can see it here on the left, it's small

Wings1295 said...

Mobile home! Love it! :)

Margaret Benbow said...

I'm always impressed at seeing (on the news or in movies) whole Asian families perched on the same much-repaired bike--Dad slowly and confidently pedaling, Mom maybe sideways on his lap, Junior behind, Baby on the handlebars. They make the best of what they've got and even look sort of safe. I never see Americans doing the same, probably because they're too doggone big. Or too spoiled. "Share my bike? WHAAA WHAAA!!"