Saturday, October 2, 2010

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea


Why don't they make movies like this anymore? I loved this movie as a kid but watching it now through my cynical adult eyes I appreciate the effort that Disney put into all parts of the film - from the music to the underwater scenes (which couldn't be faked and were revolutionary in their day) it all just works. There is just so much colorful eye candy I felt I couldn't take it all in at times. And don't get me started on that giant squid attack.

What a treat it was to see Peter Lorre, Kirk Douglas and James Mason in a movie together. I just watched Lorre's 'Mad Love' earlier in the week so I am still kinda crushing on him. No one say 'poor devils' like he does.


When we were kids living on the army base in Germany we got to enjoy a Saturday afternoon at the movies that included a couple of cartoons, a old newsreel, many trailers, a b-movie (usually a monster movie in black and white) and finally the main feature which they picked from the history of film.


I remember 'King Kong', 'Golden Voyage of Sinbad', 'The Three Musketeers', 'Logan's Run', and of course all those great Disney movies. 20,000 Leagues had a great effect on me and I owe everything that the 'Cave of Cool' is and wants to be to that film. In a way I AM Captain Nemo or maybe more Captain Ahab except my white whale has eight arms.

I also think we all can agree that the one thing missing on the Nautilus was a kitty.

You all know the story. This is one of the great films of any age and one that your kids deserve to see so stop being a bad parent and go out and find it already.

6 comments:

MinusAll said...

Just re-read the book, to this day it is still an amazing story.

Kal said...

That it is. I noticed you work for LEGO. I hope I haven't offended you with my rants about how cool the sets are now compared to when I was a kid. Square and rectangle...thats the only shapes I had...sigh

M. D. Jackson said...

One of may favourite novels and one of my all time favourite films. And still the best adaptation.

Kal said...

I hadn't seen it in years and I really enjoyed it. It was a smart movie that actually had a strong anti-war point of view. You forget how good Disney was at doing what he did best. Every part of the movie was given priority. It's magic and an example of why I love the movies.

Glenn Whidden said...

Got a whale of a tale to tell ya, lads
A whale of a tale or two,
'Bout the flapping fish and girls I've loved,
On nights like this with the moon above,
A whale of a tale and it's all true,
I swear by my tattoo

Unknown said...

I'm a huge fan of this film, great post!