Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bruce Wayne - The Road Home


Just when I thought I would never enjoy a Batman comic again, here comes eight one shots all about Bruce's comeback and involving all the characters in the bat universe. Each one tells the story of how Bruce Wayne (newly returned after his trip through time) tested each of his 'children' to see if they were worthy to continuing their missions. For the most part he was happy with what he saw.

I was happy to see that instead of having Dick Grayson go back to being Nightwing, that Bruce has no problem with there being TWO Batmen in Gotham city. I was hoping they would go in that direction. I suspect that by the end of the next couple of years that there will be Batmen all over the world who are dedicated to the same mission as the original Caped Crusader (London already have Knight and Squire, their version of Batman and Robin). If you are a fan you know that this just makes sense at this time in the history of the character.

These issues reminded me about how much I miss a comic that actually tells a story (fuck you Grant Morrison) and hits all the emotional notes that have been missing from the world of Batman of late.


Bruce even has a new suit that can run rings around his old costume. Not only can it give him bursts of super speed and shoot heat rays, it can turn the wearer invisible. I so hope all of these upgrades make it to the new Batman costume we are sure to see him in in the very near future.

It seem like DC has solved all it's problems with this character by keeping Grant Morrison as far away from it as they can. For me it couldn't have happened soon enough. All my pain has been rewarded by creators who finally are doing Batman right.

4 comments:

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

BatGirl looks alot more powerful than BatMan.
xoRobyn

Kal said...

Only in your power chick fantasies kitty cat.

Copyboy said...

The batgirl issue was pretty awesome. I love the writer for that series. pissed they jumped the gun on the return of bruce before the finale. Agreed with your GM opinion.

Kal said...

I agree with you Copyboy. To release these stand alone issues (which are all very good) before the comics of his travels through time were finished was really stupid and just strengthens my belief that the company just churns out product without any concideration whatsoever about how the comic fans feel.