Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dr. Cornel West


"You can't lead the people if you don't love the people. You can't save the people if you can't serve the people. - Dr. Cornel West

This guy is one of my teacher heroes. His writings on social justice and black issues ('Race Matters') have largely been responsible for forming my opinions on race. He is a provocative educator and intellectual who challenges the status quo. I would love to be a student in one of his classes at Princeton.

Dr. West is a frequent guest on 'Real Time with Bill Maher' where he often refers to others as 'Brother (insert last name here). I have added that way of referring to the people I connect with into my language lexicon. He refers to himself as "a bluesman in the life of the mind, a jazzman in the world of ideas, forever on the move."

Currently I am seeking out his autobiography 'Living and Loving Out Loud'. You can see him speak on the topic 'What makes a significant life?" by following the link here.

4 comments:

Big J said...

Dr West, is one of my favorite guests on Real Time with Bill Marr. very cool guy!

Kal said...

Yeh, I feel that way too. He seems like he would be the coolest guy to hang out with.

Pat Tillett said...

there is a band called "The Cornel West Theory."
An interesting guy...

Kal said...

I just learned of that band. I hope he gets an invitation to all their concerts.