Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Listened To This Today


I was digging through my pile of records while cleaning up the basement. My mother is on this kick to get rid of things and I have to stay one step ahead of her which I do by moving things from an old box to a new box. I think if I find enough stuff to throw out or donate then this crazy woman will give up trying to limit her carbon footprint by messing with mine.

I like my stuff. It's all cool stuff. Even back in the day I was always one who acquired and held onto neat things. I always looked forward to the time when I would have my own place to decorate as I pleased. I never really believed I would have a woman who would deny me my beloved chatskis (sp?) so I was free to pursue my decorating vision - sorta Hemingway meets Indiana Jones.

Anyways, this record got put on the play stack along with a William Shatner album of some talks he gave on Star Trek back in the day. I need to do a post on my album collection. I am beyond being embarrassed by what I have because I remember why I got those albums in the first place. The Conway Twitty abominations were passed down and stand as the worst thing my father left me. I wish I could get rid of them but there is sentimental value there. DAMN YOU TWITTY!!!!

This story of Star Wars was all we had in the days, months and years before video tapes allowed us to watch the film over and over again. I suspect that there are many people out there around my age that can recite the movie word for word because of this album. It told the tale of the movie with narration but with lots of the original dialog and music and sound effects. It was the first time I had experienced the concept of hearing a story I knew on record. It was like my first audio book.

In fact a few years later when they showed 'Star Wars' and 'Empire Strikes Back' as a double feature, my buddy and I were sitting behind these two girls our age and we were saying the dialogue from 'Star Wars' to ourselves back and forth. They of course could hear us the whole time. I expected that at anytime they would turn around and tell us to shut up because of course what we were doing is annoying, but they never did.

At intermission they came up to us and told us that what we did was amazing. They were waiting for us to mess up but we never did. It was the first time that my geekness actually got me the girl...and a geek girl to boot.

6 comments:

Sam G said...

Wow. Had this on 8 track. "That's no moon..."

Kal said...

...it's a space station.

M. D. Jackson said...

I had that album (and the William Shatner one) I would wager that our LP collections whould not be dissimilar.

Many of my old albums are gone... between my Mother's obsession with contributing to jumble sales and me not being vigilant enough (my brothers and some so-called friends). Unfortunately my Story of Star Wars Album was one of the victims. *sigh* It was great, though, wasn`t it?

Kal said...

OMG - separated at birth, eh?

WAS a great album, still is a great album.

sambo said...

This Is Why I Read and Dig Your Blog
Could Not Agree With You More
I Didn't Buy Anything I Didn't Want
NEED?
Yet It Was Mine To Buy
(With My Weekly Allowance)

70's KUNG FU Comic Magazines
That's A Neal Adams Cover!

It May Be Yellowed and Has NO Resale
Collectable Value To Anyone Else

Yet It Does To Me

PeeS: Conway Twitty STILL IN 2010 BLOWS

Kal said...

Sambo, I loved those black and white comic magazines. My cousin had a whole ton of Conan, Kung Fu and Vampirella ones. They were fantastic.