Thursday, October 21, 2010

Perogies


As a grandchild of Ukrainian immigrants I have been raised on perogies. Half moons of joy made of dough and stuffed with potatoes, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. They are served with fried onions, bacon, sour cream and polish sausage.

I can remember my Baba making hundreds of these at one time. No flat surface in the house was free of them as they waiting to be boiled. We loved to steal them and just eat them raw. Leftovers were fried up the next morning until they were crispy and served with cranberry sauce.

The church my mother had a lot to do with building has a perogie supper every months that is always very well attended. I love to get leftovers and I am enjoying them right now. Best perogies in the city made by the loving hands of a group of Babas. Doesn't get any better than that.

8 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

I've never had them but, I'm willing to give 'em a try...

Kal said...

Oh they are a delicacy.

Dr. MVM said...

I love me some perogies.

sambo said...

STOP IT
Great Blog C'Kal
Please Don't Make Us Hungry
-Sam

M. D. Jackson said...

Long ago I had a girlfriend whose family was Ukrainian. She taught me how to make perogies. I don't remember much except that you have to make them small. Apparently making one huge perogie just doesn't work for some reason.

Our family enjoys perogies quite frequently but we don't have any Babas so we have to buy them from the freezer section of our local grocery.

Anonymous said...

I love Perogies! You're making me hungry now... don't even know anyone Ukrainian, but love me some perogies anyway!

A friend of mine's mom makes them, don't know where she learned how...

MC said...

I've made them from scratch before... they are indeed tasty.

Megan said...

I always wanted a Baba instead of a Nana, but we just didn't have the right ancestry for that...

(This is NOT a knock on my Nanas. They rocked.)