Thursday, January 6, 2011

30 Second Stories By Kal - Lost In A Storm


As a younger man I really liked being outside in the cold. You felt like an astronaut on another world. Riding the snowmobile or digging into a pile of show to make a shelter were some of the most awesome things you could do as a Canadian child.

When I was six, I went out in a raging blizzard once despite being told to stay inside. This edict did not make me happy. I knew how to dress and if I was cold I was smart enough to come back inside.

When my mother was on the phone I got into my snowsuit and snuck outdoors. I didn't want to go far. I only want to make my point so I dug myself a nice little cave in the pile of snow that had accumulated against the garage in the back yard.

I was so tired afterwards I just fell asleep in the comfort of my improvised dwelling. Several hours later I woke up to the sound of people and cars in the driveway. I guess they had been looking for me and feared I was dead in the blizzard.

It must have been quite a moment for them to see me emerge from the snow pile safe and sound. The funniest thing was that NO ONE said anything to me as I past by them, walked up the stairs and banged the snow off my boots before entering the house. Only afterwards was I told why they were there and how what I did was so wrong.

I still didn't get what the big deal was. It was only snow.

4 comments:

Sam G said...

If I had that snow suit pictured above...I'd wear it all the time.

Paladin said...

It takes a special breed of people to live in your tundra, and actually enjoy doing so. I don't think I'd last too long. I'd have to hibernate somewhere like a big old bear and get someone to wake me up when it was over ...

Our weather extreme down here falls at the other end of the spectrum. I've learned that there's only so much clothing you can take off in August to deal with the 105 F heat before some killjoy calls the police :)

Kal said...

And I would rather be in the bitter cold than the scorching heat any day. I can always get warm but cooling down (despite how naturally cool I am) can be difficult.

Pat Tillett said...

That's a great story! I've never had the opportunity (no snow) to build my own snow shelter...