Saturday, January 8, 2011

More Tumblr Truth

“The congresswoman’s father Spencer Gifford, 75, was rushing to the hospital when asked if his 40-year-old daughter had any enemies. ‘Yeah,’ he told The Post. ‘The whole tea party.’”

From the Salon live-blog.



Why go on a rant myself when there are plenty of people on Tumblr saying what I believe only they are saying it much better than I could express right now. I am just too upset over the whole event. I make no apologies for losing my shit over this event. This kind of evil makes me crazy enough to kill BUT I DON'T.

"There will be a lot of hand-wringing in the coming days over the shooting of Rep. Giffords this morning at a constituent event — some of it, almost certainly, from the folks at Fox, who will wonder aloud how this kind of thing could happen.

It can happen, in fact, because conservatives so thoughtlessly and readily use violent eliminationist rhetoric when talking about “liberals” (to wit: anyone who is not a conservative). They will adamantly deny it, of course, but the cold reality is that this kind of talk creates permission for angry and violent people to act it out."



"Those with a megaphone, whether provided by public office or a media outlet, have responsibilities. They cannot avoid the consequences of their blatant efforts to inflame, anger, and outrage. We all know that there are unstable and potentially dangerous people among us. To repeatedly appeal to their basest instincts is to invite and welcome their predictable violence.

So long as we all tolerate this kind of irresponsible and dangerous rhetoric or, in the case of some commentators, treat it with delight, reward it, and consider it cute, so long will we place all those in public life, whom the provocateurs dislike, in the crosshairs of danger…That this is carried out…in the name of the Constitution, democratic rights and liberties, and patriotism is a mockery of all this nation claims to believe and almost all of us continue to struggle to preserve." - Gary Hart


“I think it’s important for all leaders, not just leaders of the Republican Party or the Democratic Party … community leaders, figures in our community to say, ‘Look, we can’t stand for this.’ I mean, this is a situation where people really need to realize that this rhetoric, and firing people up, and even things … For example, we’re on Sarah Palin’s targeted list, but the way she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gunsight over our district. And when people do that, they’ve gotta realize that there’s consequences to that action.”


“If we are to have freedom to speak, freedom to assemble, and, yes, the freedom to bear arms, we must have responsibility as well. And to those of us who do not agree with the purveyors of hatred and division, with the promoters of paranoia, I remind you that we have freedom of speech, too, and we have responsibilities, too. And some of us have not discharged our responsibilities. It is time we all stood up and spoke against that kind of reckless speech and behavior. If they insist on being irresponsible with our common liberties, then we must be all the more responsible with our liberties. When they talk of hatred, we must stand against them. When they talk of violence, we must stand against them. When they say things that are irresponsible, that may have egregious consequences, we must call them on it. The exercise of their freedom of speech makes our silence all the more unforgivable. So exercise yours, my fellow Americans. Our country, our future, our way of life is at stake. I never want to look into the faces of another set of family members like I saw yesterday, and you can help to stop it.” - Bill Clinton


"[When] you stoke these flames, and you go to public meetings and you scream at the elected officials, you threaten them—you make us expendable you make us part of the cannon fodder. For a while, you’ve been feeding this hatred, this division…you feed it, you encourage it….Something’s going to happen. People are feeding this monster….Some of the extreme right wing has made demonization of elected officials their priority.

He concluded:

“The Palin express better look at their tone and their tenor. - Rep. Grijalva”"



Just yesterday, Ezra Klein remarked that opposition to health reform was getting scary. Actually, it’s been scary for quite a while, in a way that already reminded many of us of the climate that preceded the Oklahoma City bombing.

You know that Republicans will yell about the evils of partisanship whenever anyone tries to make a connection between the rhetoric of Beck, Limbaugh, etc. and the violence I fear we’re going to see in the months and years ahead. But violent acts are what happen when you create a climate of hate. And it’s long past time for the GOP’s leaders to take a stand against the hate-mongers.

Update: I see that Sarah Palin has called the shooting “tragic”. OK, a bit of history: right-wingers went wild over anyone who called 9/11 a tragedy, insisting that it wasn’t a tragedy, it was an atrocity - Paul Krugman


"We are well past using violence to get votes. It’s time for accountability, and some responsibility to be reasonable, and not just on the part of people who make their careers in the public spotlight. We need to not vote for candidates who are willing to equate their opponents with hunting fodder. We need to stop watching the shows that espouse hostility toward our fellow citizens and residents, and tell their sponsors that we’re not going to purchase their products. We need to put ourselves out there for our neighbors even and especially when we disagree with their political values, because above all, we need to start acting like we all put congeniality and respect for each other at our highest priority.

Hate destroys. Love builds. I don’t care if I sound trite. It’s freaking true."



“So, this gunman has been identified and from his Youtube page it appears he a schizophrenic young man who’s been under the influence of extremist right wing rhetoric. Political assassins are often mentally ill —- history’s full of them. So let’s not kid ourselves — it’s not a coincidence that he shot a congresswoman. His videos are full of right wing political gibberish and from what he said in his bizarre videos, it’s clear that all the looney tunes anti-government talk flying around the ether and an excessive gun culture fed into his paranoia.”

17 comments:

Belle said...

I agree. They create a volatile atmosphere and then sit back and smile.

DrGoat said...

I live in Tucson and a supporter of Gabriel. She was one of the few sane politicians from Arizona. I'm really angry right now. I've been sick of Beck and Limbaugh and Hannity for a long time now. Now I'm f*cking livid.

Kal said...

I do have had ENOUGH also. It's time for those right wing hate mongers You can't even compare the rhetoric on the left to the evil rascist balloon juice these instigators push out day after day after day. They get paid well for doing so and believe they are untouchable. Well, fuckheads, you just screwed with the silent majority for the last time. I hope people rise up and run their dangerous clowns out of town on a rail but they won't and that infuriates me most of all. If only they could have been the target of the crazed gunman who didn't take his own life for once. I want to see his ramblings. I want to know how a sick individual got the idea to do this. If the answer is what I think it is there should be no crevice big enough in Alaska for Sarah Palin to hide.

Megan said...

I'm still speechless. Does the Cave of Cool have a spare room? Because I'm about done, here.

DrGoat said...

Well Cal, I hope you're right. You'll be sure the right wing are up right now, plotting out exactly how they will come out of this smelling like a rose. So I hope you're right.
I think I'm gonna induce some relaxation, watch the original True Grit, eat something bad (Lucky Wishbone fried chicken), and try to get murder out of my heart.

Kal said...

Anytime Megan. We can crawl under the covers and cower in fear and await the end times. I don't know about you but I am pretty sure that my religious view aren't getting me a ticket to the RAPTURE. We can go house to house collecting canned goods when those blessed faithful are carried up to heaven. Now doesn't that sound like fun?

Kal said...

Good for you DrGoat. I think I will just sit here and wallow in my own delicious hate for a spell. If there was ever a time they Dark Side could convert me to their cause it would be right now.

Megan said...

Sounds like a PLAN.

Kal said...

Just don't forget the Batgirl costume when you pack.

Dan said...

Today was a bad day for all Americans, thanks to one nut job, which we will always see more of in this un-perfect worlds future. Both parties (and all kinds of media), are to blame. They both spread high emotions equally, by attacking one or the other party, to blame is unfair, as again it was a nut job in this always un-perfect world.

Dan said...

I am always getting shit for this, but I listen to Rush and Beck often, and I have never heard them promote hatred or violence in this way. They are good guys with insightful commentary about the world. BTW, I am also a college graduate, with a Liberal Arts degree of all things, and am pretty well read considering all the action figures I collect.

Not a fan of Hannity though, that guys annoying! :)

Megan said...

Note to self: Learn how to iron-on.

Kal said...

Thanks for the comments Dan. First time for that I think so let me welcome you to the concersation.

Beck and Limbaugh are 'good guys'? Really? You believe that? They must be projecting some kind of sibliminal message through the radio that converts even the most strident liberals over to the Dark Side. I don't know how you can't hear the hatred for Obama. You don't even need to read between the lines to get it. It's all right upfront.

Wow. I hope you return after me just saying that.

Kal said...

Iron-on Megan? The costume already comes with bad emblem attached.

Kal said...

I apologize to everyone for not accepting the 'well the other guys do it' excuse on this one. I just never will. No wiggling your way out of responsibility for this one either tea baggers.

I listen to progressives like Stephani Miller and Alan Colmes and Bill Maher and they are not calling someone a 'a baby killer' (Bill O'Reilly).

They do not encourage people to RELOAD instead of retreat.

They do not talk of 'second ammendment sollutions if the election doesn't go the right's way (Sharon Engle).

They are not using fear and demonization to prevent fucking HEALTH CARE reform from being passes and they are not in the pocket of the oil industry who want NO regulations or the insurance company's who put profit before people.

Are you all on the right so fricking stupid to not see this???

GAH! Here comes my stroke again. I hope you are happy.

Dan said...

Its all good Kal :), I know the guys on the radio right are blow hards, but that goes for all the commentators on the Progressive side too. I'm not a quote keeper, but I have certainly heard dumb things said on both sides. I just like politics, and am good at listening to different points of view without going too crazy. Bah, time to buy more toys :)

Kal said...

Now that is funny Dan. I am doing the action figure purchase thing myself right now.