Sunday, October 2, 2011

Red State


"How much do you think a cross like that cost?"

"In dollars or common sense?"


If Michael Parks doesn't win the Oscar for best actor for his role as the leader of a Westboro Baptist Church-like group of religious, gun toting and homosexual hating worshippers I will either give up watching movies or I will burn down my local multiplex.

Damn, I can't do that. They make the BEST movie house hot dogs EVER.


Parks is absolutely mesmerizing in this controlled role as true believer and leader of his flock. There is never a doubt in my mind that he is in the head man in charge.

Red State unfolds in a small town dominated by a fundamentalist preacher, Abin Cooper. It tells the story of three high school boys who, on their way to an Internet arranged meeting with a woman, end up crossing paths with Cooper. The encounter sets into motion a series of events that causes all hell to break loose.

I think this is Kevin Smith's strongest work. He took a point of view and he resisted all his worse urges and repeated none of his usual directing 'ticks'. I felt that I was seeing the genius of a first time director here. I would never have been able to guess Smith wrote and directed this film. It has the feel of something by Clint Eastwood. I hope Smith has them making his custom tuxedo for the next Oscar telecast. Want to bet he wears those short pants and a tuxedo t-shirt?

John Goodman is terrific as the FBI agent in charge of assaulting the group's compound once a local cop is killed.


This one had me right from the beginning. Yes, it has a point of view but it was my point of view for the most part. Guns, god, government and the certitude of opinion meet in a clusterfuck.

No good decisions made here but that is reality. Despite all the training in the world, there is no guarantee that the right thing will be done when the 'moment' arrives.

I promise you, you have no idea where this one is going. You will either love it or hate it. I loved it. It made me feel and it made me think.

10/10



3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So did you shell out the big bucks for one of Kevin Smith's special screenings?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

No, one of my many 'associates' made sure I got my hands on a screener copy.

Mike D. said...

I did... and it was the best 50 bucks I ever spent!!!! Great movie.... Parks killed