Thursday, December 29, 2011

5 Reasons Firefly Was Lucky To Get Cancelled And My Thoughts On Series Television


#1) It United Fandom For Once

One of the most depressing results of the Internet has been the balkanization of nerds. Sure, before, nerds argued about stuff, but once you got in the Internet, and received the GIFT, things got ugly and got ugly fast. It’s easy to forget that there was a time when showing up to a convention meant all the stuff got mixed together, instead of being rigidly separated (except, of course, for the dealer’s tables). Now, it’s all regimented: I was at a convention recently where they even put DC and Marvel stuff on different sides of the hall.

But “Firefly”, a few hypocritical incidents of whining aside (watching rabid fans of another show whine about other rabid fans is always funny), is largely a place where people can unite. Not everybody loves it, and some people dislike it, but by and large, we’re spared “Yeah, but the later seasons really sucked”. It’s something we can mostly agree on.

And that might be the most valuable of all.


I totally agree with this article. Firefly is perfect for what it is and nothing or no one can ever spoil how great the series is. I always imagine what the world would be like if Nathan Fillion had done seven seasons of Firefly. He might very well had passed on something like Castle. I don't want to think of my life would be like without the Halloween episode where Castle dressed like Mal. What a great TV moment.

I have gotten spoiled by the short seasons of British TV series. When creators don't have to stretch their story over 22 episodes, they can tell a concise, interesting story packed with character development and surprises. There is no 'filler' necessary. Tell me you could think of anyway that Sherlock needed to be improved besides the fact that we only got THREE episodes.


Luther only has TEN episodes but that series will stay with you long after most shows have faded from memory. Luther was probably the best series I watched this year. That says a lot if you understand my total love for Boardwalk Empire.


It makes me hate shows like Lost and The Event even more. I realize with time how those shows teased and tricked me and only gave me a fraction of a resolution after YEARS worth of content.



I am happy I have gotten to the point where I can watch whole seasons of shows I may have missed the first time around. It lets me avoid the crap and focus my attention on those series like Homeland, Hell on Wheels, Boardwalk Empire - programs that truly deserve my attention. Those shows I can't save up. I have to watch them weekly as they unfold their tales.

Now where is my Nucky Johnson action figure with voicebox feature?


http://gammasquad.uproxx.com/2011/12/5-reasons-firefly-was-lucky-to-get-cancelled#more-53629

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Tried getting into Hell on Wheels, but it just didn't do it for me.

Will said...

if Firefly had lasted several season there would be those fans going "it's not as good as the first season" or "it jumped the shark in season 4"