Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Alcatraz (2012)





The trailer gives you all the information you need to understand the set-up of the show. It is definitely in the same vein as 'Lost' or 'Fringe' only this time the mystery and mythmaking is combined with a high tech police procedural.

I imagined the worlds of 'Lost', 'Fringe' and 'Alcatraz' existing in the same universe which makes sense when you know that wonderboy J.J. Abrams is the mind behind each show.

I was reading several reviews of this series today and more than a few people noticed that lack of sexual chemistry between the two leads (Jorge Garcia and Sarah Jones). I know it's never happens in real life so there is no way that a pretty blond girl could love a fat guy - no matter how smart or entertaining he is.

The show uses flashback sequences to the prison as it existed in 1960. I really liked the visual style of those scenes. They justify the reputation of Alcatraz as a hell hole.

Sam Neil is sturdy and reliable playing the man with all the secrets. I just hope this time that the creators don't keep all the answers to themselves.

This one interested me enough to keep watching. I am just going to be very wary of getting sucked into weak storytelling again. I am still stinging from 'Lost'.

9/10

2 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

It doesn't seem like a premise that can be sustained for an entire season of episodes, let alone multiple seasons. In order to watch it I would have to be promised that they have already written the ending and that the payoff will be worth the effort.

I hate it when shows present a mystery and promise a solution but then just make it up as they go along.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh don't worry. I am not watching another 'Prison Break'. I baled on that one early and if this show even SNIFFS at me wrong, it's the recylcle bin for it.