Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Message From Space (1978)


Ever since I saw 'Star Crash' I have been on the lookout for more of these foreign versions of 'Star Wars' that were made in the late 70s. This Japanese version throws everything including the wok pan into this production. The story, costumes and music are all meant to give a serious air of importance to the story and the movie does come off less silly than similar themed pictures.

The model work is interesting to look at. I only wish every effect wasn't so dark. One of the things that made Star Wars so remarkable was how bright and polished everything looked.

The film was made for six million dollars which made it the most expensive movie produced in Japan up to that time. Every penny is there on the screen.

American Vic Morrow was recruited to provide 'class' to the operation but he only comes across as moody and detached. The other English actors at least have some energy to their performances.

Of course, none of that matters. Come for the goofiness and try to look away.

Things I Learned From This Movie:

*Military robots rate full funeral honors.
*Police spacecraft are equipped with flashing lights and sirens.
*Respirators can be used to survive in a vacuum.
*Being a master swordsman is impressive, but of dubious use when the enemy is armed with laser rifles.
*Suspension of belief can be improved with cross-training.
*Killing an old woman in a wheelchair is harder than it sounds.
*A planet's destruction will always pause so that a father may bless his daughter.
*Forty people is robust enough of a gene pool to populate a new world.


http://www.badmovies.org/movies/messagespace/



7 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Romanticism of Sailing Ships + The Openess of Space = Instant Recipe for Awesome.

Some examples:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gK3hJ46L_BQ/Tdw0UdEAi2I/AAAAAAAAA1M/pm9DEfQoAR0/s1600/treasure-planet-5.jpg

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/201/c3c/201c3cd6-a212-4ef2-be9c-fb61b0af3104

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0J7RfWTOf3c/TZlcEFBnmWI/AAAAAAAAT6A/V9SspNa6IfM/s1600/sentai1630.jpg

Also, love the "things I learned list". Its nice to know that movies can teach us things other than "cut the red wire".

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I borrow that list from another b-movie review. These kind of movies need that kind of sarcastic analysis.

M. D. Jackson said...

I love the part where Vic Morrow's character gets the glowing Leeyabi nut in his glass of scotch.

Jim Gallant said...

Hi Cal!, This is my first comment on your blog, which I think is awesome..

I saw this movie as a kid in a theatre in Salem, Mass. It was corny but awesome. I just watched it again recently and it holds up for me.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Welcome to the Cave, Jim. I found I liked this one too. It was just goofy enough to be fun. I so obvious they saw Star Wars and tried to recreate it from memory. The English translation doesn't help one bit either. The way they morphed RD AND C3PO really took chutzpah.

Kelly Sedinger said...

Wowza, I gotta track this one down!

ThoughtCriminal said...

I think I remember this movie. They were looking for "Eight Great Warriors", but it almost sounded like "Eighth Grade Warriors".