Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Somedays It's Not Easy Being Me


My crazy 71 year old mother had to get out of the house today. The temperature is hovering around a nice -30 Celsius but there is no wind. She was happy to get the chance to wear her Inuit Kamiks (seal skin boots) while she did errands.

This morning I went to see my doctor. Despite all the changes to my life that I have made, there is still stuff wrong with me. I am a broken down wind-up toy. So next week I have to do the FULL medical which means of course...you know...the rubber glove. You can imagine how overjoyed I am about that breakfast date. In the meantime I got prescribed ANOTHER pill (my forth). As funny as all that is, however, that is not the funniest part.

My mother offered to pick up my prescription and when she came home she said that she had a talk with the pharmacist who remarked, "Oh Jeez. He really has a lot wrong with him doesn't he?"

Now my question to you, dear reader, is this - Should my mother have told me that story? She knows how I react to stuff like that. I mean come on. You don't tell a guy who is getting his prostate examined in 7 days that the pharmacist feel pity for him. I am anxious enough. Why not just tell me she 'heard the rattle' and the Grim Reaper will get to me when the weather warms up. GAH!

I just remembered that the Aryan nurse at my Doctor's office questioned me a few times about me having another emergency call number other than my home number. What does she know that I don't? I am terrified to leave the safety of the Cave now.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Whether she should've told the story (to either the pharmacist or you) or not, she's mom, and she'll do what she wants as mom.
Just my experience.
But I wouldn't have wanted to hear that either.
Don't leave the cave.

Wings1295 said...

All you can do is keep trying to make the Cal better. That is the road. Looking back won't help! Forward sir!

DrGoat said...

My advice is leave the cave when you feel comfortable doing it. Don't sit in there waiting for something to happen. That pharmacist obviously is lacking in professionalism. Should've kept his mouth shut. You want me to take care of him for you?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

The pharmacist is young and pretty and blond so we can't kill her. Aparently that violates the terms of my agreement with the gods.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Bend over and cough, Cal. Take it like a man! I laughed at your line about the Grim Reaper waiting for it to warm up.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

If it was you how would you feel Deb? Hey, even death don't go in this weather. He's got no body fat and only a thin flimsy robe. I don't know how he does what he toes in the cold of the Tundra.

Belle said...

I love stories about your mother. If you have enough, you should write a book.
I'm sorry about the shit you are going through. It really sucks. Maybe you can get a pity date out of the pharmacist?

DrGoat said...

Okay, we'll let the pill-pusher live. Don't want to dis the gods right now.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Patience my friend. When the time is right we will bring their whole house of cards crashing down around them. First zombie outbreak and they will be the first ones looted. Well after the gummy bear aisle at 7-11