I was watching some season six of Doctor Who and thinking how cool Rory was in that whole 'Last Centurion' story arc. Then at the same moment this list appears on my Tumblr dashboard. It was just too perfect not to post.
Let me tell you about Rory.
1. The most important thing in the universe is Amy, because he said so.
2. Once, he punched the Doctor in the face. It was awesome.
3. Breathe for a moment and take in #2 properly. The Doctor, a man with seemingly infinite power, a man with the ability to start revolutions and topple bad gods, a man with alien strength and ability, a man who is, in the perspective of things, so much greater than Rory as a mere human could ever hope to be. Rory punches him. In the face. Without hesitation.
4. If anything, he is blatantly unimpressed by the Doctor, not scared or awed at all. 5.He will stand and fight for what he loves. For 2000 years.
6. He will never choose between his wife and another, alternate version of his wife if he doesn’t have to. Rory loves her in all forms.
7. Rory is one of the few companions who walked into the TARDIS and wasn’t fazed by the fact that it was bigger on the inside.
8. In fact, he had even read up on enough Sci-Fi to know that it was in another dimension, and said as much to the Doctor.
9. The Last Centurion.
10. All he needs to be happy is to have Amy happy. And maybe a sweet car.
11. Rory takes little things like finding out he’s married to Amy and River is their daughter while he’s in a universe that has given him amnesia regarding those events generally in stride.
12. His sense of humour is bitter, sarcastic, and often takes the form of one-liners and cute little quips. Also, it’s fantastic.
13. He fights a fish-vampire off with a broom.
14. Never once has he insulted bowties and said they are not cool.
15. He has enough swag that his stripper at his stag do was the Doctor.
16. “Trust the plastic.”
17. He never misses an opportunity to thoroughly kiss his wife.
18. Rory understands that “stupidface” is an epithet of love.
19. He stands up to the Doctor if the Doctor is at all at fault for Amy being in trouble.
20. “Where. Is. My. Wife.”
21. Cool guys never look at explosions.
22. He forgot to take Hitler out of the closet.
23. Time tried to erase Rory, but it completely failed and just managed to make him Roman instead.
24. There is a page on Facebook called “Rory Williams is the New Chuck Norris.” I need say no more.
25. Like Donna, arguably the second-most badass companion of all time, he is perplexed and annoyed about the fact that apparently the Sonic doesn’t do wood.
26. Despite all attempts of the universe to prevent it, he does in fact exist.
27. He’s died almost as many times as the Doctor has, still lives to make dark jokes about it, and can’t even regenerate.
28. Rory is the pretty one.
29. He might be able to stand up and argue with the Doctor when he needs to, but that doesn’t keep him from being one of the Doctor’s best friends. Actually, it probably makes him one of the best best friends the Doctor has ever had.
30. Rory understands the fashion faux-pas that is a poncho, and wears it when he’s freezing to death anyway.
31. He dressed up as the Doctor as a child. Because Amy said so.
32. Rory was wearing the eyepatch when it had already activated, and still he fought, stood his ground, and barely even showed any pain.
33. He’s hot.
34. He’s also hot in horrible hipster glasses. If not more so.
35. His wife is Amy Pond and his daughter is River Song.
36. Rory sees the coma patients around town. Instead of wondering if he’s going insane or acting in another irrational manner, he takes pictures for photo evidence.
37. Again, even in an altered timeline when he has never married Amy, he still protects her to the end, as Captain Williams.
38. He role-plays with Amy as a Roman Centurion while they are on their honeymoon.
39. He and Amy first kiss while dancing the Macarena. Yes. Really.
40. Rory knows how to play the guitar.
41. He is a nurse.
42. And he is completely and utterly fantastic in essentially any other way you can possibly think of.
Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness
I forever stand vigilant to protect this planet from the myriad of forces that are always against us. Be it the octopus, zombies, aliens or the robots my team of human agents, and our feline allies, circle the globe in a never ending struggle for human freedom.
I learn all I can on every subject that interests me. I especially enjoy ancient history because in the past there are valuable lessons to be found. Also, if I ever get my time machine to work properly, it would be good to know a bit about possible destinations and what to expect when I get there.
I greatly appreciate beautiful design. Be it manufactured or found naturally I am fascinated by the process of invention. I am attracted to the unique, the strange, the haunted. I like to share what I find on this blog.
And not let us forget the 'Cephalopod Menace' who, if allowed to, would wrap their tentacles around all that is good and pure in this life and crush it until it remained no more. They are creatures of pure spite. Hate is all they know. Death is all they do. They are our most ruthless and determined enemy.
So we fight. Selena has the celebrity contacts, the cat is ruthless and without pity, Roosevelt's ghost has the experience and I do the wetwork.
Fighting for the future of the planet doesn't have to be a chore, however. We can take the time to appreciate all that is cool in this world even as we cut the octopus into bite sized chunks.
This is the reason there has always been and must forever be, a Cave of Cool. Be sure to wipe your feet before you enter.