Saturday, April 14, 2012

There Had Better Be A Cool Salem In This Train Wreck


Today in “LOL WUT?” news, Sony Pictures plans to remake Sabrina The Teenage Witch as a superhero movie. Yes, the Sabrina from Archie Comics and from the sitcom which ran seven seasons and starred Melissa Joan Hart and an animatronic cat. She’s going to be a superhero now in a live action film Deadline describes as “an origin story in the vein of Spider-Man, about a young girl coming to terms with her remarkable powers.” Seriously

I bet every black cat in the world is lining up to audition for the role of Salem, who I understand will be some possessed prince. Yes, it will be a girl meets cat meets romance magical superhero story. Anyway, its a train wreck that will make some kitty wealthy beyond his wildest kibble.

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I'm all for a superhero movie that involves a magical young lady. Halle Berry's Catwoman is likely responsible for putting a lot of potential supergirl movies on ice.

I'm afraid we didn't get the network that showed "Sabrina" when I was growing up so I'm not familiar with the franchise or how to feel about it being rebooted (I suspect they gave up on rebooting "Buffy" what with the Twilight franchise's Vampire-mania winding down, and decided to move onto a different "Supernatural Girl" property)

The only thing I would be concerned about at this point is that "origin in the vein of the X-Men" is how Avi Arad described his plans for the "Bratz" movie, and look how that turned out.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You mean the Bratz movie won't have shopping?? Why the hell would I want to watch. Sabrina was a goofy little show with a laughtrack with a talking animatronic cat and a cute lead.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

"Didn't" have shopping, past tense, it already happened. Meaning that no one in Hollywood learns from their mistakes.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I'll watch it.

I am sucker for all sorts of magical girls.