Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The End Of Fringe



The last two hour finale of Fringe is on this Friday night. I have been with the series from the beginning and it's been a hell of a ride. I hope for a happy ending but I do not expect one. Thank you Olivia, Peter (who ever thought I would like Joshua Jackson...ever?) and of course the mythical John Noble as Dr Walter Bishop - the beating heart of this show.

This program pushed the boundaries in terms of science fiction adventures and didn't get too far lost into it's own mythology to alienate long time fans. The relationships, however, were the best parts of the show. I will miss Astrid and Nina Sharp and Agent Broyles too. This is one that if you haven't seen it, you need to start watching from the beginning now that it ends this week. I would be interested in your opinion of the show.

2 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I saw the pilot when it first aired and thought it was interesting but didn't have the time to invest in following a new series.

My brother got the first four seasons on DVD this past Christmas and has been marathoning episodes in anticipation on the finale. This gave me the opportunity to watch the first season, and unfortunately I didn't much care for what I was seeing. The first season had so many stories that I felt I had already seen done better on "The X-Files". I've been told that Fringe grows into more of its own identity by the second season, but I just haven't been able to overcome that hurdle.

I'm getting to that age were I feel like I've seen it all, especially when it comes to serial television that I'm not as surprised or as intrigued as I might have been if I had seen it half a decade or so earlier.

Still, I'm glad you've enjoyed it and that its lasted a long time by the standards of a network genre series.

Kal said...

I always enjoyed the show and the characters even though I confess they leave Olivia with little to do this year. Still a big fan and will get a better ending than I ever got BSG or LOST.