Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Thor, The Dark World Trailer




I like the idea of using Christopher Eccleston as Melekith The Accured, the main villain in the sequel to the first Thor movie. Melekith was cool in a several issue story arc as the bad guy and the Dark Elf, he has a role to play in the end of the Asgardians according to Norse mythology.

This story was created back during the 80s when Walter Simonson was the artist on The Mighty Thor and he could do no wrong. He created Beta Ray Bill and Throg, the Thunder Frog. All of his Thor stuff from that period is golden.


 
 
Although they don't show it in the trailer, I hope that Casket of Ancient Winters is also part of this story - Malekith has an obsession with the magical box that has the power to release eternal winter. According to the Internet, this is a picture of Loki with the Casket (first movie version).

 
I know Loki used it in the last movie and it's one of the pieces the evil guys need to bring about Ragnarok, the Twilight of the Gods. I hope the movies are working towards that final battle between the Gods of Asgard and Surtur the Fire Demon and the Midgard Serpent. To me that is the only Thor story that I want to see...oh besides Loki betraying everyone.

The cast is it the source of the Frost Giants power and has remained guarded in the vault at Asgard since Odin defeated the Frost Giants and took in back in 940AD. It supposedly contains the fury of a thousand killing winters.
 
According to Norse Mythology years of winter without summer are one of the signs of the end.

 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Thor sequel looks even better than the first movie! Looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

I like the first movie and i think am going to love this one.

joe ackerman said...

Thor's my favourite of the Marvel films so far _ yes, even more than the Avengers. it's got it's detractors, but I think they nailed it about as well as anyone was ever going to nail a film about comic book norse gods. gotta say I wasn't a great fan of Walt Simonson's Thor run ( I know! I know! shoot me now! ), and my knowledge of Malekith is limited, to say the least, but I am so looking forward to this. great trailer.

Kal said...

How can you hate Simonson's Thor run. It's almost Kirbyesque in the effort he put into those stories. Well at the time it was unlike anything else I was reading.