Sunday, November 17, 2013

This Week - Favorite Cartoon Girls Of The Eighties

 
I was looking at this picture today and realized that I could and should really do a post of images of my favorite iconic female cartoon characters of the 1980s. Sure we look back now and many of the cartoons don't hold up over time but I have great memories of running home after school just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Jem and the Holograms, GI JOE, Thundercats, TMNT, Masters of the Universe, She-Ra, Dungeons and Dragons, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and Voltron.
 
I know I would love to see a new He-Man/She-Ra Hour that totally updates the characters and animation for a new time. They did a great job with the Thundercats a few years ago. The marketing for MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE products is still huge, especially with the action figures. Lots of great nostalgia to be mined from that great time. Why do you think Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles has never really left TV. How many different incarnations of that cartoon has their been?
 
As you might suspect my favorite girls are not going to be Smurfette or Strawberry Shortcake. Tomorrow we start with one of the greats - SHE-RA - Princess of Power!
 
 

5 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

As far as television goes there was the original animated series from 1987-1996, a Japanese anime adaptation called "Legend of the Supermutants" that ran for all of two episodes in 1996, a live action series called "The Next Mutation" produced by Saban (meaning they had crossover episode with the Power Rangers) that ran from 1997-1998.

In 2003 4Kids Entertainment did their Turtles animated series that ran until 2009 that was a closer adaptation of the original comics. Now we have the CG-animated series on Nickelodeon that started in 2012.

There were three live action movies produced by Jim Hensen studios in the 90s, the CG Animated feature in 2007 and the Direct to DVD "Turtles Forever" movie to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the original series.

So yeah, the Turtles are rolling in the green in more ways than one.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Should be a great series, although I was not really personally impacted by any of those 1980 cartoon heroines.

Kal said...

That is a lot of girl characters though. Someone figured out that girls liked toys too. Though I would personally kill a man to get one of those flying horses with She-Ra action figure.

Kal said...

I was looking over some of my TMNT toys and it's funny how I had to get each turtle depending on the line. 4 times the characters because you can't separate them from each other. What's the point in collecting on THREE of them. That is the genius.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

To quote the masters "to all the girls I have love before..."