Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Let Me Sum Up


Yup. It's true. I am HETERO for George Takei. George is the best. Been loving him all week on Howard Stern. I used to say this about Shatner but it's only true about George. Takei GETS the joke and makes it so great for us to laugh along with him. He's a national and world treasure for his honesty, his character and that magnificent unfiltered mind of his.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/20/why-we-re-obsessed-with-george-takei.html


I got my first weigh in in two months this morning. My weight loss Doctor is the best guy I could have met. I am down 62 lbs since meeting him and only gained a pound in two months of summer loafing around. I also didn't eat so well so I am glad to see that everything balanced out in the end. I have no goal as to what I want my 'final weight' to be. I just do it everyday and hope for little changes. I am enjoying the pain of exercise. I have to get into a beginner yoga class this fall or maybe wait until the class thins out in October. But I hate people so maybe a yoga class on You Tube.

I start my first group class in anxiety management tomorrow. Two hours every Thursday until October. I hate groups. I general don't like people, strangers in particular. I am in no mood to schmooze or be supportive to someone else. But I told my therapist that I would go to these classes he is running and I like his style so I will give it a try. It will be fun to see how long I can last. I am open to learning new skills. After all, I am a Renaissance Man.

I can still feel a pellet in my face from the time I was shot. It's weird. Depending how I flex my eyebrows I can either feel it or not. That means I know what it's like to have the pellet stuck in my skull and not have it stuck in my skull. But's it's there and it's making me crazy to feel it. I don't play with it but I know it's there. I know it's there ALL THE TIME. I am getting a referral from my regular Doctor to see a plastic surgeon and I am getting it removed. I want to keep it and put into something I can keep as a reminder. But it has to come out.

Oh and for those of you who decry Obama care - I get all this medical care with no real cost to me. I have supplementary insurance but don't need to use it for this basic mental and physical health care. I maybe see my Doctors 12 times a year (between the two of them) and the quality of my life has been improved immeasurably since I decided to get the help I needed over two years ago. I think of how lucky I am to live in the country and province and city that I live in. It's civilized. It makes me sad for everyone out there who for reasons out of their control, don't get the same kind of protection. It should be a basic human right but for some reason the Corporations who make money off health care in the US don't want it to be so.


Ferguson Missouri makes me angry as does the militarization of the US police forces. I read a great article today in the Calgary Sun about the differences at the US Border. It was sobering to say the least. I know I don't want to go anywhere. This world is a scary place.

But they are in a state of rage, in the United States, for another reason: the terrible crimes of 9/11 were used as an excuse - dishonestly, unethically, diabolically - to justify pumping untold billions into the creation of paramilitary forces where none were needed. To create, as noted, a police state.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/18/america-wakes-up-to-harsh-reality

 
None of my captions ever come back to me on Tumblr. NEVER. That has to be a commentary on their quality. It's a judgement of some kind.


I posted some pictures of my toys on Facebook. Many, many people made me offers. Got me thinking that I might just gather up some stuff I don't want and see if there is interest out there. To further my search for some Holy Grail toys. It will allow me to pay a little more to find some of my dream pieces that, of course, will have to be mint in package.
 
I admit that like every collector that I have stuff that makes me go 'Meh' when I look at it. I know someone else would be happy to have these figures and if that further advances MY collecting goals then it's a good thing. Now I have to educate myself about how this process should work. It's what a responsible collector does. Letting go is what separates us from the hoarders.
 
These pictures contains 4 of my Holy Grails. Can you guess which ones they are?

 
 

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow! A 62 lb weight loss is really impressive! And you're taking the initiative for other positive things too -- that's great. It won't be long before you'll be wearing those slender man clothes you like so much!

j-swin said...

Sounds like you got a lot going your way brother. Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Great post Cal! Glad to hear some things are on the upswing for you.

Unknown said...

Cal - that is so cool to hear all these things and you're so open about sharing. I do a ton of yoga at home and have some suggestions of videos. Good on you - I hated group therapy for the first two months - then I could not help but go and be there for myself and others. Hope this works for you too. Yes - thank Tommy for our health care! HUG!

Kal said...

Thanks for that T and Brian. Any suggestions can be sent to caveofcool at the gmail.com. Tommy is the man. Tommy should be on a coin or the paper money that we DON'T have to spend on health care - early preventative care which saves the system in the long run.