Monday, October 3, 2016

Phantom Of The Paradise





 
I remember this film from back in the day when movies like this would be shown in Prime Time. The whole musical is a trip but one that has stuck with me all these years. I still love the soundtrack and was amazed at how many of the songs I still know by heart while doing some research.
 


I had no idea about the following factoid. I assume this is the reason I saw the film so many times on the Manitoba TV channels. It was a big hit apparently.

Phantom of the Paradise opened in the U.S. on October 31, 1974 and soon flopped. The film's only successful major market during its theatrical release was Winnipeg, Canada where it opened on Boxing Day 1974 and played in local cinemas over four months continuously and over one year non-continuously until 1976. The soundtrack album sold 20,000 copies in Winnipeg alone and was certified Gold in Canada. It played occasionally in Winnipeg theatres in the 1990s and at the Winnipeg IMAX theatre in 2000 and always "drew a dedicated audience".



Goodbye Eddie, Goodbye should have been a huge hit on the radio. But it was not to be for the Juicy Fruits.

4 comments:

Fiendenstein said...

I remember catching this late at night as a kid, it was super freaky and far scarier than it should have been.... or was it?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, it was big about the time I started university in Winnipeg. I didn't know that factoid either! Explains a lot.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Winnipeg was always ahead of it's time

Rob R said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.