Sunday, August 20, 2017

Jerry Lewis Is Dead And I Don't Care

 
I hate this movie. I used to like the Nutty Professor as a kid but I saw it as an adult and it really didn't live up to my memory. I find that a lot with Jerry's early work. He was one of the first celebrities that I actively felt disappointed in. Sure he ran that goofy telethon and made being one of Jerry's Kids an insult in some circles. There was a time when that Muscular Distrophy telethon was huge and the only thing on TV during the labor day weekend, the last weekend before a new year of school began. It was a horribly boring way to end the summer and I hated it. In fact I really wasn't too fond of Jerry either. He was just a weirdo. His comedy was always forced and unfunny to the point of annoyance. You want to slap him and ask him to try and stop acting like an idiot child. His muggings were beginning to make me angry and comedy should never make you want to punch the comedian. I thought that at age 12. No wonder he and Dead Martin broke up. Jerry's antics would drive me up the wall. People say Lewis was a great physical comedian. There is a dance to physical comedy that Lewis just never fully understood in my opinion.
 
Then there is that movie, the Day The Clown Cried. Now there is a project you have to read about to believe. I could talk on that film for hours. Another massively poor decision by a man who is suppose to be (according to the French) a comedy genius. I don't see the genius because there is really no way to make the Holocaust funny, not even a little bit. People die everyday. Most are not famous but the celebrity ones usually affect me in some way. This one did not.
 


4 comments:

Sam G said...

Agree with you 100%.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Once again our opinions coincide, Cal. I was a big fan of Jerry Lewis until I turned six years old and found him juvenile.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That was my thought exactly but I seen all his old films because that is what they showed on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons. I enjoyed the Ma and Pa Kettle movies more.

DrGoat said...

Jerry and Dean did have their moments. Personally, my whole family was a Dean Martin fan, so I'll let Jerry slide since he's passed. He was an opinionated jerk at times but I still hate to see anyone I go that I grew up with, good or bad times.